Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] [WIP] 80's Motel: Miami Druglord Den

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
RogelioD polycounter lvl 12
Project: UE4 80's Motel: Miami Druglord Den

Greetings everyone! I've been working on this project in my free time off an on for a few months and figured it was about time to share!

I have been working on a Druglord Den that takes place in a 1980's Miami Motel. I am a bit less than 50% done with the project but as always, crits are always welcomed! If you have a question about a crit or aren't sure if I am aware of the issue or not, feel free to visit my Trello Task Board and check out the upcoming things I have yet to do on my list! If not, feel free to post anyways because feedback is always appreciated!

Reference Pintrest Board 

PINTREST BOARD LINK

Wxq2kuppng

PROJECT GOOGLE DOC 

GOOGLE DOC

XLPpxCmpng

TRELLO TASK BOARD

TRELLO TASK BOARD LINK 

*WIP* 1

I'm well into the production stages of this environment. There are some assets that are further along than others but nothing is 100% done. There is a laundry list of issues and things I have to work or rework and nothing is off the table for fixing! Also, lighting is completely in the blocked out stages and will most likely be re-done a few times before it's all said and done.

Lastly, I just wanted to mention that I am highly considering and planning on turning this environment into a Gumroad tutorial for Environment Design and creation as well as World Building; taking something from an idea concept to completion. This would span the gamut from coming up with documents to help you in pre-production to how I concepted the scene in 3D, to building our certain elements, to finishing and finalizing. So please, if this is something you would likely pay for in a Gumroad, then let me know! Definitely looking for inspiration to finish and knowing that people would like to see this process would help push me along for sure! 

Hope you enjoyed what I shared, and thanks for checking me out!

Happy Arting!

-Rogelio

Replies

• RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WIP 2

Still grinding away on this! Happy with how it's coming along!

Changelog:

• Updated the coke bricks Model and Material

• Updated the lighting
    • Updated the bed sheets Model and Created Material for it
    • Added Blockout of Chemical Drums in back instead of boxy small desk
    • Added wood layered material masking for Mirror, Picture frame, and Nightstands
    • Made the glass covering the Miami Skyline picture glossy glass

Next  immediate updates:
    • Bedsheets material balancing 
    • Bed Frame/Headboard creation
    • Finishing the doors
    • More flair props (Cig Packs, Syringes, Ammo Boxes)
    • Briefcase finishing
    • Chairs finishing
    • Dufflebag creation

Down the road:
    • VCR Finishing
    • Blockout of the outside set extension
    • Blockout of the granade rigged door
    • Complete re-work of the hitlist board on back wall
    • Mini Fridge Creation
    • Safe Creation
    • Chemical Drum finishing
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on this scene! Still got lots to do but enjoying how it is coming along so far! I'd call it about 65% at this point as there are a few untextured assets in the scene, a few more hero props to add, a set extension for outside to make, and a general weathering/wear/realism pass to go. Just thought I'd share what I got so far! As always, Crits/Comments welcomed!

• Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    Dang, this makes me want to listen to some synthwave. 
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working really hard on this guy; bout to call it done very soon! Really stoked with the progress so far! Before I call it done though, here are some WIP shots!

C&C welcomed as always!! thanks!

High Res:
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    I really love all the elements of this. The second shot is my favorite for sure. 

If I were to offer any comments, I would say in that second shot, the large circular reflection on the picture hanging over the bed makes it seem rather smooth like a glass. But I'd imagine it rare to have a painting that large /w glass covering it. Would be cool to see some breakup of light angles if it were an oil painting or something?

I do really like the contrast it creates though on that side of the room.  Great work man!
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well dangit I didn't see this thread until now.

Already gave you feedback, but still wanted to say this was rad.  :P 
  • 9Solid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8
    There's a lot of things I dig about this scene, the subject matter, the red light casting through the blinds, the cool light at two the other end of the room. A few things that stand out to me are the bags. They're all the same and it looks like they're only rotated along z, so they're all perfectly straight up if that makes sense. Rotate them along a few more axis, maybe make another one that's bent or deformed a little more and hanging off the edge of the bed. Also, if a drug lord is doing blow in a motel like this, I would expect to see something or a few more things broken. Maybe the TV got Elivs'd, or the mirror punched. The cash is in perfect wads, but there should be scattered bills on the floor. Anywho, those are just a few suggestions. Otherwise, good job! And I'm excited to see this finished.
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @shabba Great idea! I'll try to hit that in my polish pass! And thanks for the kind words!

@gsokol <3

@9Solid You are 100% correct. Definitely something I should hit before I call this done! And thank you for the enthusiasm! I too am excited to see this done soon haha

Got lots of wonderful feedback last week on this piece, however this is strictly a lighting update  Tried to really push my knowledge of the "Koola Style" of physically correct lighting in UE4, and although this is not really an Archviz piece, I feel like I learned a ton in the process!

Lots more feedback to hit to polish this up and be done with it! And as always, C&C is always welcomed on anything!

Cheers!

• rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    Looking great!  Can we get an albedo only pass?  Just want to see your values on textures.  It seems that some could be improved.
  • RogelioD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @rogelio Thanks! And absolutely!