Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Art Dump] Champions of Anteria - Casper Wermuth

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spoon polycounter lvl 11
Hi guys,

I want to share some of the stuff I worked on for Ubisoft Blue Byte's Champions of Anteria.
The majority of these went from concept to implemented model in 1,5-2 days. Some of the later ones are a bit faster, due to tight deadlines. 

(I cut some of the minor stuff out, the full dump can be seen on https://www.artstation.com/artwork/061Vy )

I'm happy to hear any comments :)
Especially if you see me make the same mistake repeatedly - please let me know!
I would like to learn from this.

I hope you like some of it!

(One of our level artists, Andreas Moritz, has uploaded juicy shots as well!
http://polycount.com/discussion/179711/art-dump-champions-of-anteria-andreas-moritz
)

Replies

• Jedairusz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jedairusz polycounter lvl 13
     Sorry for lack of constructivism, but it is just totally awesome!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    wow loads of awesome assets! I particularly enjoy the way the tree was done, how did you get the shapes to layer like that? was it all by hand?
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    @Jedairusz
    Thanks, means a lot to me :)

@Ged
    Thanks, man! 
    I made something along these lines:
    https://simonschreibt.de/gat/airborn-trees/
    I just only used a dome, since its a strategy game, and we only see it from above.
    When I was satisfied with the dome, I duplicated that around a bit, and "dressed" it with the hanging leaves.

The scattered leaves on the dome was easily placed with Max's Object Paint.

Is that what you wanted to know?
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    wow, that is some really sweet stuff, love it!
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    This is some really nice and inspiring stuff. 

One question: at the brown rocks you have some really heavy UV stretching at the base. Why? Is it because this parts will not be visible? If so, why have them at all?
  • kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 9
    I got a boner looking at these. I also wondered about the stretched uvs.
  • kabir.talib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kabir.talib polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome work..

• Christian Nordgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Christian Nordgren polycounter lvl 11
    jesus the artdump never ended, great work!
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    @lotet
    Thanks a lot, lotet!

@Dethling @kohg
    lol at the boner!
    Thanks for your comments, and im glad you ask!

The bottom part of some of these assets were extended and blended into the terrain using vertex colors.
    The terrain's diffuse, normal and spec would then be projected on to this geometry depending on the value of R, G and B.
    It makes it much more organic and integrated, than a sharp polygon line.
    I can perhaps find a rock and screenshot it, next time I open the game :)

@kabir.talib
    Thanks a lot!

@Christian Nordgren
    Thanks, Christian. I'm glad you endured the marathon! :)
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I saw this on artsation yesterday I think.  Overall I think these look great.  If I had to offer a critique it would be that on a few objects where there is a design imprint, the detailing doesn't really fit with some of the other details you have sculpted.  

This serves as a decent example, as the bird heads feel very plain compares to some of the larger, chunkier details you have sculpted not just on these objects but on your art style as a whole.  There's a few other pieces where you have emblems or symbols that just feel thin and too...perfect when it comes to line weight compares to the tiles next to them which show a greater deal of variation.  I also think the center well of this piece could have used some variation in silhouette as it feels too round and perfect along the top and bottom stones.

Overall I think your stuff looks great and I think it's awesome that you showed off sculpts as well as finishing assets.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    @praetus
    Thank you so much for taking time to feedback it!
    You are absolutely right.
    I didn't think about it back then, but it's very valid points. It would definitely have strengthened the assets.
    I'll keep that in mind for my work from now on.
    Thank you for pointing it out, I really appreciate it!

• Thailur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thailur polycounter lvl 5
    This is really awesome!  I wish I had more critique to offer.  I really like the consistency from asset to asset.  It would be exciting to see the world pieced together.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    @Thailur
    Thank you! Yeah, perhaps I could take some ingame screenshots as well. But I assume the level artists will upload those :)
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    @Dethling
    @kohg

I hope this is clearer.
    First pic you see how the rock looks.
    Second pic you see how the bottom skirt flares out, and blends into the terrain.

• cesarinm7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cesarinm7 polycounter lvl 4
    dude really awesome work.. This art look very good. Thanks for sharing it!.. I need to ask you, how did you paint/texture the assets? what was you workflow, if dont mind you?... and also, I saw a gameplay video and I would like to know how do they do with texture blending on terrain, and how do you blend textures in specific areas in a huge terrain... thanks a lot for your post and your help!!
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    @cesarinm7
    Thanks a lot, Cesarinm7!

I usually just combine the basic bakes and throw a gradient map on it.
    For example the stack could look like this:

Gradient map
    Levels (clamp to full value range)
    Ambient occlusion (multiply)
    Curvature - tight and crisp (low opacity)
    Curvature - smooth and sexy

This would sometimes be enough to ship the asset. Othertimes, I could bring it into coat or photoshop, and do a few strokes on top of it.
    Does that help?

You would have to ask the graphics programmers how they made the terrain blending, if you need details other than I described above :)
  • cesarinm7
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cesarinm7 polycounter lvl 4
    This would sometimes be enough to ship the asset. Othertimes, I could bring it into coat or photoshop, and do a few strokes on top of it.
    Does that help?

You would have to ask the graphics programmers how they made the terrain blending, if you need details other than I described above :)
     Yes, that makes everything more clear. Because i saw a similar style in heroes of the storm and shardbound I think, but I didn't know exactly the workflow to achieve that color style. Do you use substance painter/designer besides 3d coat and photoshop?

And about terrain, I don't know how can i contact them, but Isn't an urgent issue. Anyway, thanks a lot for your help and answer
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    @cesarinm7
    I can't promise those guys are using the same approach :)

I use painter for other projects, but for these assets it was almost exclusively coat and photoshop. I think I tried out painter for some objects here and there, but the lack of good gradient maps made me return to photoshop.
  • thegeist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thegeist polycounter lvl 4
    That's some really nice work!
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks a lot, thegeist! :)