Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP HP & LP Modeling Journal, Please Crit

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
EJtheArtist polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys! Please Crit. I’m trying to get better at HP and LP modeling. Mostly, only put bevels and edge loops where necessary. Some of these I'm aiming to bake these down to LP meshes for Ever Jane, and others i'm just working with the LP geometry and painting the detail in.

So first I started this dresser. I know is isn't much, but do you see anything in the wireframe that's a waste of time or could be improved? 

thanks! :)

model

Replies

• causticphoton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest there's no reason to do a high poly sculpt and bake it down for something like this, unless you're really going deep on the topology to make it weathered or old. Say, putting character into it, warping, ornate details, or dents/impacts etc. (see link <- even that is dang subtle and a lot of it could be done in normals).

Without all that you could have nice bevels and rounding, and still be at a game-ready poly count, even with functioning drawers, interior polys, and those rounded pulls attached.

• Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    Hi guys! Please Crit. I’m trying to get better at HP modeling. Mostly, only put bevels and edge loops where necessary. I'm aiming to bake these down to LP meshes for a game.

So first I started this dresser. I know is isn't much, but do you see anything in the wireframe that's a waste of time or could be improved? The bottom still needs to be fixed, but I'll get to that later.

thanks! :)

If you're looking to bake this down to a LP as you mentioned, you shouldn't be concerned about any 'wastes' in the topology unless, of course, it took time. Chamfering/beveling the edges a bunch with the intention to bake down to a more optimized mesh is just non sub-d modeling.

Looks like you're doing just fine - the right edges are receiving chamfering and such. My only crit is to soften them up more by widening the edges when you chamfer, and to not be afraid to add even more edges once you do chamfer. :) Keep going at it!
  • defragger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defragger sublime tool
    It is kind of mid-poly at the moment. I dont understand. Or is this the low-poly?
  • EJtheArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @defragger I'm still learning/beginning to understand modeling workflows. So it might look midpoly because I can't make up my mind of what i'm doing.

In the case of this Library Arm Chair, I have no idea what i'm doing. I'm just guessing basic shapes and hoping for the best on this one. My struggle is the top part of the chair where it curves outward. Here's what it looks like so far, and the reference. I'm also concerned about what I'll do for the filigree legs

model

What do you guys think of this chair so far? Could I have done better in the modeling somewhere? My only goal right now was to just get the silouette out so I could see it in game asap. 

@causticphoton@Kanni3d  

• EJtheArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Also started the more detailed HP leg. I'll likely sub-d model the leaf detail unless you guys have any better ideas :)
  • Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    model

What do you guys think of this chair so far? Could I have done better in the modeling somewhere? My only goal right now was to just get the silouette out so I could see it in game asap. 

Silhouette is good, but I feel like you should add more edges to smooth out the edgy/blockiness not only for your silhouettes benefit, but also so that it can sub-d that much easier.
  • EJtheArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Live stream fixing if interested :)

• EJtheArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Kanni3d @mrock

Is this one better? or... waste of time? I wanted it to have better curves, but the silhouette looks... weird? What do you think?

model
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Do you have any sculpting programs?
  • EJtheArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes, zbrush, mudbox, 3D coat :)
  • Kanni3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kanni3d ngon master
    @Kanni3d @mrock

Is this one better? or... waste of time? I wanted it to have better curves, but the silhouette looks... weird? What do you think?

model

On the right path, just use even more geo, there can never be too much to define your silhouette for your highpoly. Once you've got that, it's that much easier to get your LP out of it because the silhouette remains once you turn off sub-divisions. :) best of luck