Home Career & Education

Thinking of becoming a 3D Vehicle Artist

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Ronaaz polycounter lvl 3
So, after finishing university a year ago, I've been on the job hunt since then, but I've quickly come to realize that my portfolio is quite weak or/and doesn't showcase any particular skills.
I had for quite some time been thinking on what field of 3D I should specialize in, and the field that seems to interest me the most is vehicle modeling. My passion for cars since a young age, the recent Mad Max game, and very aspects of vehicle mechanics seem to tell me that this is the field I'm more knowledgeable in and would love to work in.

As such, I come here to ask you all what skills and techniques I should focus on learning, and what people to look to for guidance or as a sort of "role-model".
You can recommend me anything you like, videos, books, etc... As long as it is able to further my knowledge in the field and pushes to create a bigger and more specialized portfolio, I'm down for checking it out!
As a first impressions, I'm guessing this field focuses a lot on hard-surface modeling and the creation of metallic based textures (rust, paint, steel, etc...). But, please, feel free to correct me on this, or add even more basics to that list!

Thank you in advance for anyone that contributes to this topic!

PS: I currently use Blender for modeling. For image editing, since I've got 0€, something like GIMP.
       Also, this is my current portfolio, for anyone interested in seeing/critiquing it: Portfolio

Replies