Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Female face critique needed.

Bigby
vertex
Offline / Send Message
Bigby vertex
Hey all, first time poster. I heard this place is way more active than cgs when it comes to help with critiques so I thought I'd post.

Basically im stuck on female facial anatomy/proportion. 
I feel like the face is too long but I dont know if its because im used to seeing stylized characters to the point were realish anatomy looks strange or maybe lack of hair? I dont know what it is but it doesnt look right to me. Im basically stuck. Should I add hair? Does that help things visualize? Do I bother with eyes?

I found a nice video on female faces from ryan kingslein on youtube and followed that to the best of my ability. This is what I got. I suck at lips so Im pretty sure thats a big problem.

Sorry if I sound jumbled, very tired, been practicing all day with short breaks in between. I'd just like to know my weakness's / trouble spots. Is the face actually too long or is it passable? Any critique would be greatly appreciated.

Prior to this Ive been practicing sculpting the actual human skull because I heard I should learn bone structure first. I built upon that but I still need work on actual bone proportions which is surely causing me a problem with this. I also need to look into facial muscles I think.

My overall goal though is essentially semi-real. Not direct life-like one to one real sculpts, just slightly stylized / realish sculpts. That also makes me wonder if Im going to far with this. Maybe I dont need to go that far into facial anatomy, maybe just basic forms would be enough? I dont know. Im just lost now and I dont know where to go further. Any critique would be great. Zbrush perspective is on if that matters.

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    You're going to want to give us an existing example of what you mean by "semi-real" so we can understand what you want to hit in terms of a goal.

Lips are challenging, for sure.  I've always found this image to be helpful though.  Remember that the corners of the mouths divot inwards and that the lips wrap around the teeth, not the overall curvature of the face.

• Cibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cibo polycounter lvl 10
    The cheek looks like someone has punched the woman in the first picture and the chin looks very flat and not woman like. The front picture is "weird" because it looks like the cheeks and chin are smooted or  seperated from the rest.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    The first thing you want to do is really understand what is going on underneath the skin.  Whenever I see someone sculpt heads early in their career, they just skip the basic structure and try to make a good looking face.  overlay a skull on top of your image from several angles...does it fit?  Look up facial muscles and fat and see if those match up with your face.  Right now, I'm willing to bet none of it will line up properly.  Look up "planes of the face" as well as that will break down plane changes in the facial structure really well.  You should also drop down a subdiv level or 2 to deal with easier forms.  I'm not sure how accurate the lower image is but it gives you an idea of how muscles, fat, tissue lay over the skull.

• ashraful mobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ashraful mobin polycounter lvl 10
    need some anatomical focus.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Definitely take a step back, focus on the planes, put in landmark like ears, forehead, jawlines, and cheekbones.
  • Bigby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigby vertex
    You're going to want to give us an existing example of what you mean by "semi-real" so we can understand what you want to hit in terms of a goal.

Lips are challenging, for sure.  I've always found this image to be helpful though.  Remember that the corners of the mouths divot inwards and that the lips wrap around the teeth, not the overall curvature of the face.

I knew I forgot something, I apologize. Something like this. I believe this may be stylized / semi real? Or stylized with real-ish materials? I dont know how to describe it but this is close I feel.

• Bigby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigby vertex
    Thanks for the advice thus far everyone, its really helping.
  • Bigby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigby vertex
    The result of todays effort. I took the advice of learning / studying the planes of the face and went with it. The skeleton diagram above was really helpful. I know I still need more work though. Any advice thus far? Tomorrow I plan to study the planes more so and study muscle / bone structure further.

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Seems like your model is looking down right now. Might want to adjust that first. It will easier to spot any mistake afterward.

Nose and ears usually line together.