Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brink Style Character Bust

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Denzil_forde greentooth
Hey Folks,

Last Week I started working on this Character Bust in the style of one of my favorite video games Brink! 

Of Course, this is still a work in progress but It has been great to explore this unique style. Please Tell me your thoughts.

All comments Welcome :)

Replies

• Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Here is my reference for the Bust:

• Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Today's Progress:

As you can tell, there are areas on that need attention, I certainly need to smoothen some of the pointy areas and fix the brows. 

Please feel free to comment, I would love to know how you think I can improve on this. :)

• artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artofmars polycounter lvl 9
    I feel like you need a 3/4 view of the reference, or use reference of real face at 3/4 view. I think once you nail that youll notice a big difference. looking good!
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Thank you very Much Art of Mars, I agree, now that I've started to progress in a 3d I think using a 3/4 reference would definitely improve my model. I couldn't find any 3/4 concepts of this bust however I was thinking about using Jason Statham as a reference.

Thanks for pointing this out! Feel free to comment again, when I upload progress. :)
  • Denzil_forde
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Here are some updates on the bust:

I tried to take into consideration ArtofMars's feedback on 3/4 view today. Now although it still has flaws, I'm starting to see improvement from this angle as opposed to just front and side views.

Please Feel free to comment and add feedback on where you think I can improve, all is Welcome :)

• Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    Nice work so far, you're making good improvements.

The biggest thing that's jumping out to me right now is the eyes. The transition from the brow to the upper eyelid & the transition from the tear duct to the arch of the nose in particular. The general shape of the eyes feels off to me as well. I hope you don't mind, but I did a quick paint-over to show what I'm on about. Good luck!
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    I'm glad you pointed this out Zane, thank you very much! Now that I look at it, the eyes do look off. I think I'll use real human reference for fixing the eyes and brow, but what do you think? do you have any recommendations for fixing the eye area? 

And Feel free to comment anytime :)!
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Hey Folks, 

I've made some alterations to the past taking in Sebeuroc's advice. I still need to work on the eye area a lot more, but I think I've got the mouth and cheek areas down.

Please feel free to comment, any tips for improvement are much appreciated :)
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Hey Folks,

Here are some updates on the bust, I've moved up a sub. division and been working into the eye area a lot more. I still don't think I've nailed the eye area, but I think I have the proportions captured correctly.

Please Tell me your thoughts and where you think I can improve on the bust, all feedback is much appreciated. :)
  • Lucospade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucospade polycounter lvl 3
    It's starting to get a bit muddy and you're losing some of that structure. Are you using dynamesh at all? It looks like it could do with a little bit of polygon redistribution to aid the sculpt. I'd recommend this or a simple zremesh and go back in with trim dynamic or flatten to really define your forms.

Anatomy wise, I feel like the area above the upper lip is too spongey. There are no real plane changes indicating the shape of the mouth and it should be mostly flat as it descends down from the nose towards the mouth.

I think the back of your jaw is too round and bubbly. I would go over it with flatten and run it up towards the cheeks, making sure you keep the defining line between the jaw and the neck.

Keep going man.

• Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Hi Lucospade,

Thanks very much for the feedback, it's much appreciated.

I agree the bust is starting to look a quite muddy. I am using a Basemesh that I modelled in 3ds max and I've been working up the sub.divisions. I currently prefer working from a base mesh as it makes the process of unwrapping, retopologizing and texturing a lot more time efficient for me. 

I'm currently working on sub division 4 at the moment, would you recommend going down a division and refining the structure a bit more, or do you think I can keep going with this sub division?

I agree the lip on the bust, could certainly use some attention, I am considering using planar human references for this stage. do you have any recommendations? 

Yes, thanks for pointing this out, the jaw is beginning to look very muddy and could certainly use flattening and smoothing. But I'll keep defining the jaw to make it look right.

As My primary source of reference is the concept I've been given, do you have any/ could you send any real human reference that you think would help me with this piece?

Thanks a lot man, feel free to comment again when I post updates
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    I went a few steps back a bit to work on the advice that lucospade suggested last week. I lowered the sub div and began smoothing and flattening the muddy areas on the mesh. I still need to keep working on it, but I feel as though I'm making progress.

Please tell me your thoughts, would love to hear what you think. :)

• Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Some updates on the bust, I'm still working on the feedback that Lucospade recommended last week:

• Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Hey Folks, 

I've made some progress since my last post, Lucospade made a number of good points for improvement which I took on board.

I still need to clean him up, but I've added some more detail to the mesh, defined the jaw line more and tried to get the right shape of the eyes.

This time I paid close attention to the lower lid crease and fat stores, namely, the Malar fat area.

I will be cleaning up the muddy areas and working on the lips this week, Would love to hear your thoughts, any feedback much welcome. :)
  • Lucospade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucospade polycounter lvl 3
    Definitely better. I would really look into a remesh soon though, your topology is gonna be a nightmare to work with.
  • Ouran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouran greentooth
    Hey ! Nice progress here. One thing I'd point out is that the eyelids should be thicker. They are really layers of skin with tendons/muscles inside that are wrapping around the eyeball. Ref : http://grandvoyageitaly.weebly.com/uploads/3/7/2/7/37277491/6024287_orig.jpg

• Abrvpt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Hey dude, as this guy have such a big nose, be sure to give the tip of the nose a bit more structure. These refs are exaggerated of course but it helps for the tip of the nose.

Keep up the good work!
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Hey Folks, I'ts been a busy 2 weeks at work lately, hence my lack of posts. Nonetheless, I've been able to make some progress on the bust. 

Ouran@: Thank you very much for the feedback, I agree with you, my eyelids were too thin and did not reflect the muscles and tendons passing under the ski, tarsal plates, palpabral fissure, pre-tarsal fat etc. I've made a few changes to the eye and added more thickness. 

Abrvpt@ Hey man, thanks very much for your advice, It is true a man with a nose as big as the one I have for my character should show more structure. I took your advice on board and worked into the nose a bit more. I must admit, I don't think I've truly nailed it yet. However, I've made a note of it and I look forward to refining this lesson in my next character.
    (http://polycount.com/discussion/177155/40k-space-marine)

Here are some Progress shots:

Lucospade@: Hey man, thanks for advice, I have low subdivision that I think I will work from and refine in 3d-coat for the retopology phase. however, if this doesn't work I will consider using re-meshing.

I think I'm going to stop the sculpting phase here. Of course, there are still areas I could improve on however, I feel like this would be a never ending cycle. I have learned from these areas and I look forward to rectifying them in my next project, but for now I'm happy with my progress.

Please feel free to provide any critique for improvement, all feedback welcome.

• Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Working on eyelashes and eyes today, should be ready to start retopologzing soon: 
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
     Better Retop Render:

• artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artofmars polycounter lvl 9
    Just wanted to say, this sculpt is looking so much better! You applied everyone's critiques very well, keep it up!
  • Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    @artofmars  Thank you very much Man, I appreciate all the help along the way!

• Denzil_forde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Denzil_forde greentooth
    Hey Folks,

Following the completion of the sculpt of this bust, I figured it would be a good idea to create a mask for the Character to wear. There are so many cool designs of Headgear in Brink

I really liked the designs of the DIY water bottle tear gas masks used by Turkish protestors,  So I figured I'd use this as my main source of inspiration for the mask:

So I gave it a go:

Please tell me your thoughts guys :), all feedback welcome.
  • Ernie_Z
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ernie_Z polycounter lvl 2
    I know this is two years later, but it looks good. I'm doing a brink practice sculpt as well and its really cool to see that other people have done it as well. i love their stylized proportions so much. Plus the character put into the concepts work so well. Maybe ill post my progress shots on here as son as i get comfortable with the website. I'm still new
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    @Ernie_Z
    Don't lurk.  Post your art.  Get skewered, and get better.
  • Ernie_Z
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i couldn't figure it out haha, unless i can post a picture on this one?
    I'm new to polycount lmao
  • Ernie_Z
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Brian "Panda" Choi I made a topic with a few progress shots of my brink face. It would be awesome if you could give me some feedback! :smile: