Home Featured Artwork

Mansion Hall

Replies

• kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 9
    Amazing work. For a second there i actually thought the first picture was a concept. It really has that painting feel. How exactly did you make the folds on the carpet? sculped or was it all in marevlous?
  • Joel Zakrisson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joel Zakrisson triangle
    kohg said:
    Amazing work. For a second there i actually thought the first picture was a concept. It really has that painting feel. How exactly did you make the folds on the carpet? sculped or was it all in marevlous?
    Thanks! The carpet was made in Marvelous, so I mainly just played around with folds there. Made some small tweaks for the lowpoly in Maya, toning down some folds, but that was pretty much it. :)
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    Hey, Joel! I am following your work since i saw this project on Artstation. 
    The lighting, the contrast between the moonlight and the fire really sets up the mood you aimed. 
    Everything is carefully modeled, i can't find anything out of place.
    Top notch work! 

Some questions, though (because this is something concerning me latelly, since i am planning on doing a similar indoor environment in the near future): did you aim at a specific texel density for this scene? If so, how did you achieve this consistency around the assets? Did you use a texture atlas or the individual assets have each one a separate material?

Looking forward for your future works!

• Joel Zakrisson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joel Zakrisson triangle
    Macebo said:
    Hey, Joel! I am following your work since i saw this project on Artstation. 
    The lighting, the contrast between the moonlight and the fire really sets up the mood you aimed. 
    Everything is carefully modeled, i can't find anything out of place.
    Top notch work! 

Some questions, though (because this is something concerning me latelly, since i am planning on doing a similar indoor environment in the near future): did you aim at a specific texel density for this scene? If so, how did you achieve this consistency around the assets? Did you use a texture atlas or the individual assets have each one a separate material?

Looking forward for your future works!

Thanks a lot Macebo! 

Texel density was never really a problem since I used quite high-res textures. Used a lot of 2K for larger individual assets just to keep the quality as high as possible. Most props and modular parts have separate materials (except for smaller similar props like books/paintings), but I got the consistancy by using my own saved smart materials in Substance Painter. So I already had a wood material set up in the program that I could apply to all wooden props. If color, brightness or roughness still looked off I could just tweak that with materials instances in UE4. Not sure if it's the best method, but it worked for this project!
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    Thanks for your time, Joel. Very helpful  =)
  • amirabd2130
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    amirabd2130 polycounter lvl 7
    awesome job man!
  • Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    This is sick! Looks super nice, love the mood you created and the assets are looking stunning!
    Loving the lighting as well, the contrast between the oranges and the blues!
  • gfelton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gfelton polycounter lvl 6
    I was really confused there, I thought this was all concept art for a second heh. Great work dude, hope to see more from you! :)
  • Ace
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace polycounter lvl 8
    Really well done! Love the lighting!
  • robochrish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    robochrish polycounter lvl 9
    That's beautiful! I love the lighting. I've been working on a similar scene recently so it's nice to see your approach to it! ^_^