Home Technical Talk

Texturing and animating technical question

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
salimmatta polycounter lvl 7
Hello guys, I'm using Maya, Substance painter and UE4 to create my game assets. However, is it better to modelling, texturing and animating? or modelling, animating then texturing in the end? I'm kinda confused and honestly I don't know if it has a difference between both. Thank you :)

Replies

• Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    There's no different between both pipes.

But you better be darn sure your UVs are locked in if you're modeling, THEN animating, and texturing last.  You can't move UVs without breaking the rig most occassions.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    The traditional workflow is to model, uv, texture, animate. But it's an iterative process in a pipeline. Assets get thrown up and down the pipe all through a project. It certainly doesn't have to be linear but if you're learning a workflow and want to avoid headaches/workarounds then keep it linear until you fully understand the process. Once an asset has finished uvs then you can texture at any time.
  • RN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RN sublime tool
    In a video tutorial that I can't find the link anymore they recommended to do a simple rig and rough blendshapes to test deformations before texturing.
    If you find out you need to add or remove geometry later on so the model animates like you want it to, and you have already gone through UV'ing or texturing, you'll have to redo a lot of work.
  • .Wiki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    .Wiki polycounter lvl 8
    There's no different between both pipes.

You can't move UVs without breaking the rig most occassions.
    If changing the uvs would break a rig, there is something wrong in the workflow ;)
  • salimmatta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salimmatta polycounter lvl 7
    I have actually tried both since now, since im still a noobie, so far no problems, but I posted here just to know from expert people like you guys.