Home Technical Talk

UE4 Lighting / Need some advice

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
MaxHoek polycounter lvl 8
Hey hey! I need to light out my Cockpit. For now, I only got a Skylight with HDRI and an Directional Light all on Stationary. Also I put in one RefelectionsSphere and PostProcessVolume (there I only put Autoexpose to 0,5). I thought for an natural lighting that could be it. But it turns out too dark, like you see on the screenshot. 
If you want i can also share all my light settings or world settings. Would be nice if someone could help me with that a bit. 

Replies

• Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    A skylight is usually not enough for that, it really only works outdoor. You will have to create additional pointlights/spotlights to have well lit interiors. I'd set the skylight to static though and just keep the directional on stationary.
    You could increase the number of indirect light bounces slightly, it doesn't have a huge impact (bake times and visually) past a certain point.
    If you want to get rid of auto exposure just set both Min and Max Brightness to 1.0.
    This should get you started.
    Don't forget that you can switch inverse squared falloff off on lights and use that for things like fill lights.
  • MaxHoek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MaxHoek polycounter lvl 8
    thanks for your help @Cay ! I thought if I only want to light my scene up with "sunlight" this should be the way to do. I´m not very talented with lights so far, need to read more in this direction. Thanks man! I will try my best and will update you when I think its fine or if I have any more trouble. 
  • Obscura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Obscura grand marshal polycounter
    I'd set this mesh to movable because it would be that in an actual game anyways, it wouldn't use lightmaps. You'd still need to bake once, so it makes the indirect light cache that the mesh would move through. This is something like the light environment in UDK, that you could use on movable things like characters, vehicles etc. After this, you'll get a bit different lighting but it probably won't be good enough only by doing this. I think you'll need to play around with the light sample placement in the world settings-lightmass. You can also try adjusting the exposure in the post process settings.