Home Technical Talk

Need some help with Marvelous Designer!

NeonGold
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
NeonGold polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys! 

Working on a project in 3DS Max (hoping to move to Zbrush later) and I've run into a bit of a snag. I'm super new to MD in general, but it seems I've run into a weird issue or I simply don't know what I'm doing. I'm trying to put a cloak with a big floppy hood on the boy seen here: 

After being modeled and rigged in Max (I'll need him posed later), I exported him to MD as an OBJ, and just to see what would happen I draped a big square piece of cloth over him and this was the result: 

Having been following tutorials, I expected a nice believable drape, and I'm not sure where I went wrong. The cloth does seem a little low poly, though - could that be the problem? Or does it have something to do with my imported avatar's collision? Other thoughts? 
I also tried making a shirt but it just went crazy when I simulated it though the same pattern worked on the base avatar.

Also, later on I will need to morph the cloth to the pose seen here: 

Since this is not a keyframed pose and I don't want it animated, I'm not sure what the process is. Do I have to have it as a keyframed animation for the morph to work? 

Quite the newbie with this, so any help or tips are greatly appreciated! 

* Note: Tried using both 3DS Max 2016 and 2017, ans using Marvelous Designer 5

Replies

• Sunray
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Hey,

I'm still new to marvelous as well but here is what i think you should try.

Your cloth is super low poly due the size of your avatar try scaling up your character up to a realistic scale like 1m80 or anything like that. And if you want the cloth to look better you put the particle distance higher when u are happy with the sim in marvelous I like to put it up to 5 at the end.

As far it goes with posing i would just bring the avatar posed into marvelous.

I also always bring the mesh from marvelous in zbrush and use zremesher for a better edge flow.
  • NeonGold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NeonGold polycounter lvl 5
    Sunray said:
    Hey,

I'm still new to marvelous as well but here is what i think you should try.

Your cloth is super low poly due the size of your avatar try scaling up your character up to a realistic scale like 1m80 or anything like that. And if you want the cloth to look better you put the particle distance higher when u are happy with the sim in marvelous I like to put it up to 5 at the end.

As far it goes with posing i would just bring the avatar posed into marvelous.

I also always bring the mesh from marvelous in zbrush and use zremesher for a better edge flow.
    That was it, thanks! Totally wasn't paying attention and just imported it with the wrong units. >_>

How would I get the cloth to sit underneath him in the sitting pose? (since the outfit is something like a hooded parka)
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Import a proxy box as part of your morph target and the cloth will respect it as a collision object.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Like has been said, there are resolution settings and material simulation settings in MD. You can find youtube videos that explain everything properly.