Home Adobe Substance

Looking for a full-featured projection effect in Painter

grand marshal polycounter
Online / Send Message
pior grand marshal polycounter
Hello Allegorithmic team.

I am looking for a way to precisely control image projections onto a model in Painter.

Now of course I am aware that I can paint and therefore "bake" to static pixels any texture image using the projection tool/brush ; but what I am actually looking for here is something similar to the dynamic triplanar projector available for image fills. The features would be :

- Ability to fully project through an arbitrary XYZ vector (as opposed to triplanar world X+Y+Z) ;
- Full rotation control around the projection axis ;
- Fine inputs for accurate positioning (by that I mean more decimals for UV Offset input than with the current triplanar projector - for instance through an extra slider for fine 0.1x positioning.)

Basically I am trying to find a way to replicate so-called camera mapping techniques (which are actually not limited to cameras as any object can act as a projection map driver in regular 3d apps) in realtime inside Painter. The result would be a fully editable projection, not baked to pixels, thus reflecting changes made to the source image in an external 2d editor on the fly.

One way to achieve this would be to let the user simply pick a direction in space with a point of origin and pitch/yaw/roll controls + extra controls for tiling and offset (Advanced UX).

However, if a more barebones input method was to be implemented (Basic UX), it would be great if such a projector could automatically fill in inputs based on the current camera transformation shown by the viewport at the press of a button (and of course still giving access to manual control over these inputs to tweak things from there) 

A practical use would be the dynamic application of stencils  around the model, similarly to the way car decals work in some racing games or similarly to the tattoo system in character creation editors. So far I attempted to use some user-made .SBARs for this but they do not seem to give me the precision I need and the resulting projection is  less responsive and more noisy than the native triplanar projector.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/yNyRJ
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/3eQkY
http://polycount.com/discussion/168900/wood-projection-substance

Thanks !!

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    By the way, I should also mention that simply allowing the user to pick a given UV channel for UV projection of a given fill layer would be one way to somehow work around the issue, as the user could simply prepare a few different UV channels in advance in order to accommodate for various projection needs.

Like so :

I suspect that all this is probably possible in Designer ; is it possible in Painter ?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    I am only at a basic level in SD but I'm sure this is very possible, as all Substances in Designer can be built and exported to Painter with the important parameters exposed. I also think this would be a very useful feature in SP.