Home Technical Talk

Optimal next gen character

AnteArt
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
AnteArt polycounter lvl 2
Hello pewps!

I was trying to find an answer to a question of mine on the internet, but I could only find half of it.
I have managed to find out how many polygons / triangles are main / side (unique) characters made of in next gen AAA games, like Uncharted 4, Order 1886, God of War and similar, but the other part of my question still stands - do they use 1 map or multiple texture maps on main characters / side (unique) characters? And how large are those maps - 2k, 4k or something else?

I know this is a pretty vast question, and it depends on shaders, lights, engines and stuff, but if anyone could take an average of all that in games and give an answer it would be awesome.

I am creating a character now and I want to make it up to todays standards, so I want to know that so I dont use too less of resources or too many of them.

Thank you!

Replies

• Quack!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quack! polycounter lvl 17
    A modern game character will be many materials with many different textures. Your hair, eyes, skin, and clothes will probably be unique materials to sell their surfaces well. On top of that, the skin/clothes material will be a complex combination of blended tiled materials at varying resolutions from 512-2k, and potentially a few baked texture maps for the large scale forms.

Look up Naughty Dogs Playstation Dev Days talk on Uncharted 4, they give an overview of what they are doing over there.
    Also look up on Epic is doing their characters for Paragon, you can even download source files for UE4 for some of their techniques.

In short, a modern character is probably a baked 2k - 4k set of textures with a set of masks made for blending, with a small amount (1-4) of tiled textures used in the materials.
    The old school way of doing it, is just to model/sculpt all of the detail into the high res and bake that all down to a texture set.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    As an example from Uncharted 4, Drake lod 0(cinematic) is 90k all in, lod 1(game model) was 30k all in. As Quack says, check out their talks.
  • AnteArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnteArt polycounter lvl 2
    Very good information! Thank you guys, I have a better idea now and I will check out the video you mentioned on Uncharted 4!