Home General Discussion

Where do you go for critiques?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
Whether you are a 3D modeler, sculptor or 2D artist, this will be the problem of communication.
There are gumroad, Gnomon, many resources from great teachers online, but the critic and feedback is very important, for me, relying on free forum critics got old, because I'd rather be an apprentice cook and have one chef in the kitchen, than many at the same time for just me.

I really would be interested in getting feedback from and industry professional or veteran, to make it that one chef, and all other critics be secondary.
I have searched around, but I did not find many active critic groups... and others I've find are very expensive...

Hopefully someone wants to share the group where they go for this? And maybe this thread can help someone else as well?

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Polycount
    Never heard of it
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I know there are/was some veterans providing one on one feedback etc for a price on https://www.patreon.com/
    but yeah getting real and detailed feedback from a busy veteran will probably cost you, most of the time polycount will be enough.
    If you are detailed and ask for feedback on specific parts it's easy to lure in the greats to give you feedback.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
  • Zitch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zitch polycounter lvl 8
    So many God Tier artists on Polycount. You are on the website.
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    My mom usually gives me unbiased feedback.

For real, though: this is the best place  ;)

• Magihat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magihat ngon master
    *points finger at screen where it says polycount*
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    You could try Facebook messaging specific professionals you want feedback from.
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Sometimes blender artists, sometimes deviant art, sometimes facebook

depends.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    The polycount slack channel is good too, if polycount feels too formal for you, or something. Way easier to post in a chat sometimes than to start a thread.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Whats wrong with Polycount?  <--- genuine question. The forum Is active, and there ARE industry professionals here.
  • AGoodFella
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AGoodFella polycounter lvl 5
    Used to be 11secondclub but now I come here. 11SecondClub isn't what it once was. Back in 2010-2013, it was alive and pumping! 
  • miguelnarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know there are/was some veterans providing one on one feedback etc for a price on https://www.patreon.com/
    but yeah getting real and detailed feedback from a busy veteran will probably cost you, most of the time polycount will be enough.
    If you are detailed and ask for feedback on specific parts it's easy to lure in the greats to give you feedback.
    I guess that's what I do wrong. I'll try to be more specific, I do post on polycount, but maybe my way of communicating my critic requests isn't that good, I never get many critics. I'll try to nail a specific topic rather than the broad image. I was under the impression that there was more 3D feedback than 2D around polycount. Thanks for your opinions, guys.
  • notwithstanding
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hate to admit it but I often go to /ic/ 

The quality isn't amazing but at least they're honest and rough. Sometimes different subs like /r/learnart help too but I usually get fewer responses.
  • krraej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    krraej triangle
    I was under the impression that there was more 3D feedback than 2D around polycount.
    I haven't been that long on polycount yet, but that's been my impression as well. It's the forum to go to when you want critique with 3D art, but it doesn't really feel that way when it comes to 2D art yet. Hopefully that'll change in the future so the 2D section can prosper in the same way.

I'll try to be more specific, I do post on polycount, but maybe my way of communicating my critic requests isn't that good, I never get many critics. I'll try to nail a specific topic rather than the broad image.
    Yeah, that might help. I try to give critique whenever I feel like I can help someone in a specific area, but giving broad advice is always more difficult and time-consuming. At least in my experience.
  • Macebo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Macebo hero character
    I guess that's what I do wrong. I'll try to be more specific, I do post on polycount, but maybe my way of communicating my critic requests isn't that good, I never get many critics. I'll try to nail a specific topic rather than the broad image. I was under the impression that there was more 3D feedback than 2D around polycount. Thanks for your opinions, guys. 

Yes, be more specific on which aspect of your artwork you want critique, it increases by a lot the chances of getting good feedback.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Conceptart.org is a pretty good community.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Come to make silly personal player models for a game, stay for the learning, skill advancement and connections.

(though i do miss polycount-era polycount when there was actual polys to count instead of sculpts everywehre, domination war changed everything *grumble*)
  • miguelnarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a very good idea @dustinbrown I will find someone that mirrors my skill wise and is just as serious to advance. Thanks everyone for your replies, I will do a study of this.
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    I played around with the notion of starting a facebook group for a few polycount noobies like myself so people can get a bit more visibility on some of their posts for critique, because I like many others often post but don't always hear much back because on any given day there are a ton of posts/new threads that go up in the Critiques section that can easily bury work. 
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    You need a critique buddy with a discerning eye. A person you can trust.

For one who doesn't do IRC anymore for various reasons (as well as losing contacts by messenger shutting down), this may be easier said than done.  I had not much luck refriending through Steam and I haven't had progress ping-pong with anyone in years in fear of being unfriended for "making smut". :(
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Slack, skype, facebook messenger, etc, all work well. I imagine you'd have more luck with those than with steam, especially messenger and slack.

As for the "making smut" thing, I think that won't be a major issue in most cases. Game artists are pretty open to smut.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    So that's what I did. I found someone I knew both here on Polycount and on Facebook, and I reached out to them to gauge interest. I went through that process three times before I found someone who was willing to make the time in their schedule to do it regularly. I'm glad I did though :)
    Zack Petroc does this too. He starts every day off by contact with a painting buddy. There might be something to this advice.