Home Unreal Engine

Question - Top Down Sketch to UE4 Workflow

Greg DAlessandro
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
I am trying to figure out different workflows of working with top-down sketches (multiplayer level layouts) to see what works best for me. 

1) After you create a top down sketch/level layout on paper, how do you work with it in/for UE4? 
2) Could this workflow be improved upon?: create top down sketch> take a picture> upload to PC> import to UE4> set as a texture> apply to geometry> then scale it up until satisfied with the scale> begin to blockout/add geometry on top?
3) Is there a better/simpler way than having to guesstimate the scale of the image once imported to UE4?
4) Do you simply work from a top down sketch on paper? (ie. not imported to PC nor UE4?)
5) Is there some type of functionality in UE4 similar to an Image Plane from Maya?

Thank you.

Replies

• Greg DAlessandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg DAlessandro polycounter lvl 6
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    If you use Maya then why not build it there? Set up your image plane and scale the drawing to real world size. If you draw your sketch with a mm ruler using a 1cm = 1m(or equivalent ) scale then you can just choose an arbitrary wall from your sketch and scale it to suit based on your Maya scene scale. In the early stages of block out bring a wall/doorway into UE to make sure it suits the player - i.e player can comfortably pass through a doorway and the ceiling isn't too low. Also, make sure Maya grid/snaps are set up.

Building modular is the way to go. Some people like to block out a scene using bsp brushes in UE, but eventually you will have to replace the level with static mesh assets so bear this in mind. It all depends on how comfortable/fast you are working in Maya Vs UE.