Home Technical Talk

ZBrush - Fixing weird symmetry

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
gestoryscht polycounter lvl 7
Hello everyone,
actually I am making a character and the sculpt is done.
Now I want to retopologize it for game purposes but the right side is slightly off.

Well, i thought, lets check the model. Freezed the subtool, mirrored it and there was no shift. Okay... maybe its the lack of my zbrush knowledge and every subtool has it own origin. This would be new to me, but maybe.
So I go in transpose mode, fixed the symmetrie of every subtool and saved it.

reopened the model in blender and again - the symmetrie is a bit off.

Hmm. Back in ZBrush, mirror and weld ... no difference at all.
Now I cant retoplogize it and i am a bit frustrated. I hope you can help me.

Have a nice day!
Best regards

Replies

• SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    Do you even need the other side considering its symmetry ? I just retop on 1 side and mirror it with the modifier. 

edit; Are you planning on doing retop in Zbrush or Blender ?  I know the topic says Zbrush but I'm seeing Blender here. I also personally don't retop in Zbrush because I find it a hassle. 
  • gestoryscht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, this is exactly what I want to do but I dont want to adjust the other side.
    The right side had unique features and its important to get them right.

For this project I could do it (to be honest, not really - rigging will be a "problem", too), because the difference is really small, but it would like to know the problem here to avoid it in upcoming projects.

ps: i use blender ... for testing purpose I download max now. hmmm. i think its worth to try the zbrush = blender bridge, too.
    edit: tried the zbrush = blender bridge. obviously the same result.
    edit 2: dynameshed the subtool, mirror & weld, zremeshed with symmetry on. same result...
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Have you tried Unify in ZB to realign across X just in case the tool isn't centred? And then mirror and weld. Although in your screenshot it looks like symmetry is found as the cursor corresponds to the opposing verts.
  • gestoryscht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You are totally right! This fixed it. Thanks a lot - lets get some retopo done!
    Have a nice day!
  • gestoryscht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But wait, one last question to get it right.
    What would be the fastest method to solve the problem?

My approach: Transpose Master, set pivot point and unify the whole thing. After that, reproject the details via Transpose Master.
    Now, the origin is "totally" off - like shown in the screenshot.

I tried the other way around. Unfiy and set the pivot point. More or less the same result. What would be the fastest way to fix the problem? I have 46 Subtools and the whole setup (mirror and weld, zremesh & project) would be a massive timewaste.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a free plugin for ZB which is very useful for aligning subtools: http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?199795-Positioner

If you have 46 subtools then you can use the Geomety>position>set X to zero on one subtool. And then select this as the target for positioner plugin. Then just use the down arrow to cycle through subtools and clicking the relevant positioner button to align each subtool to the target. Even with 46 subtools this should only take less than a minute.
  • gestoryscht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tip, but I cant generate the *.zsc file - is it a 4R7 plugin?
    Maybe, I should upgrade... D:

Edit: I dont get the "origin system" in ZBrush and for me this is a little "bug".
    The shifted version is imported and the position parameters are all set on 0,0,0 - with a slight difference on the y axis.

Okay, this could cause the problem, but numbers are dont lying. After unify the tool, the parameters are also on 0,0,0 and all sliders are centered and now it works. Where is the logic here?
    Oh and by the way. Changing the subdiv level also cause a slight shift on the position... The upper screenshot was taken on subdiv level two. The second screen on subdiv level 1.

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's how to install the plugin.

The best way is to put the TXT file in the ZStartup\ZPlugs64 folder. Start ZBrush and then load the text file by pressing the Load button in the ZScript palette and select the file from the ZPlugs64 folder. You only need to do this once. ZBrush will create a ZSC file at the same location and the plugin will load every time ZBrush starts.

If you want the plugin to work with the 32bit versiion of ZBrush, copy the ZSC file to the ZStartup\ZPlugs folder.

And if you're not on R7 I highly recommend upgrading.

Did you store a morph target on any of the levels?
  • gestoryscht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The script works now - thanks for your advice!
    I would love to use R7 but I am a student and I'm happy enough to get this version by my school.

I dont have the money for a upgrade - so I have to stick with 4R6.
    But back top topic. No, there is no Morph Target at all. I imported a obj.

Im going insane right now.
    Every subdiv level has another position in space ... but seems to be normal.
    Even the Tools from Pixologic itself had the problem - I dont get the reason, because the origin shoudnt depend on the dimension of the model, but okay.
    I think I have to redo parts of the sculpt...

Edit: Dont know what to do. Nothing works anymore.
    Unify? Doesn't work. Set Pivot? Doesn't work. Mirror and Weld? Doesn't work. Dynamesh, Mirror and Weld, ZRemesh with Symmetry on. Doesn't work. A combination of all these. Doesnt work either...
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Upgrading to R7 is free :)

I'm not sure what problem you're having as I've never experienced it, but if you want to upload the .ztl file I can take a look at it for you.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Another way would be,....
    For the parts that are not unique enter subtool master and mirror copy from  your preferred part. If you get a warning that merging the two parts is more than your computer can handle zremesh a copy of the part you want to copy. At the lowest subdivision level mirror copy the remeshed tool and include the copy in one subtool (cause you want to sculpt on both sides of this tool symmetrically). Increase the subds of the remeshed copy. Hide the added remeshed side and project the details of the original tool onto the coresponding side of the remeshed copy. Unhide the remeshed side that has no details and use the resym feature under deformation in the tool palet by masking the detailed side and hitting resym along the x axis as you step yp through the subdivisions. 

Seems like a lot but it is quicker to do than write it down.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just had a look at your file. A lot of the subtools are not symmetrical as you obviously know as this is how you've sculpted them. But the main silhouette is symmetrical for most of the parts so I think you should do what @SpaceRogue suggested above(and it's what I would do) just retopo have the mesh and mirror. When you unwrap do it non-symmetrically and the normal map will pick up the non-sym details. I think you might be overthinking this as it's easy to sort out. I wouldn't bother going through all that in ZB as it's unnecessary.

As for sorting all the pivot centres out, if I really needed to do this I would just do it all in one go in 3dsMax. But if you intend to retopo all the subtools then it shouldn't matter. You can bring the parts into Blender or whatever 3d package you use and centre everything across X before you retop.

In Max I would select all the pieces>affect pivot only>centre to object>Zero out X. This will centre all the pieces in 4 clicks.

Also, the shoulder armour piece you marked in red is perfectly symmetrical on my end.
  • gestoryscht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, thanks for you great help. It works now and I am able to retopo the whole thing. Next time I will look on
    Have a great day!

Best regards!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great. Glad it worked out for you.
  • gestoryscht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhi. I think I have to take a look. Great news :D

Anyway, here is the link - http://polycount.com/discussion/174242/aukehuys.com/symmetry_polycount.zip (the link will expire in 24 hours)

• gestoryscht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uhi. I think I have to take a look. Great news :D

Anyway, here is the link - http://polycount.com/discussion/174242/aukehuys.com/symmetry_polycount.zip (the link will expire in 24 hours)

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What's the link?