Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Big Sci Fi Swords

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
CrisisMode polycounter lvl 2
Hi everyone,

I'm new to the site and I am just learning how to 3D model.  I have been modeling for about a month now.  I was hoping someone could take a look at these swords I have modeled.

One, it will help me learn if I could get a critique.  Two, they were declined by the Asset Store.  The email they send is so vague that its unhelpful.  So, that really doesn't help me learn if I have no idea what I could have done wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I am new and learning and don't expect some amazing success already, but I did think they were pretty good for just starting out.  If someone would even be willing to let me email them the .blend or .obj files to look at them in more detail, then that would be fantastic.

Thanks!

Replies

• Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Hi,

The swords look fine - nice work for a beginner! You will get better with each new project, read and watch everything you can find on 3d modeling. There is a YouTube user, Arrimus3D, who has some wonderful videos that you can learn from (I am).

As to why Unity (I assume  you mean this asset store but most have same guidelines) may have declined your submission - did you read their submission guidelines?
    http://unity3d.com/asset-store/sell-assets/submission-guidelines

It sounds like they are not looking for simple models - or maybe you didn't include clean UVs or textures. I'm sure if you re-read the e-mail it may make more sense.

Don't get discouraged at this point. Just keep at it. ;)

Daf

• CrisisMode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the kind words and encouragement Daf.  I did realize that I forgot to include readme docs in my submission.  I resubmitted with one and if they are rejected again then perhaps it is a matter of simplicity.  Or my UVs are not clean.  However, I only included the model, texture, and material.  How can you tell if they aren't clean UVs when they don't see the map itself?

I will check Arrimus out this afternoon.

Thank you again!
  • PLYONS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PLYONS polycounter lvl 2
    Welcome to 3D work, it takes practice but its fun. I would ask what kind of reference are you using? Even if you are making the designs up, it's good to have reference to help ground your designs in reality. Or you can start by picking some sword designs that you like and recreate them to help you get a better grasp of the tools and how to use them. (For Sci-Fi swords you could try the Buster Sword from FF7 Advent Children)
    Keep it up!
  • CrisisMode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Plyons, I actually did not use a reference outside of my imagination.  Grabbing some images online of different swords I like and using them for reference is a good idea and I have been meaning to do so, just enjoying going with the flow.

I will probably get into it some more this evening.

Thank you!