[Maya] Material Manager 4.3.1 is Here

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Bartalon polycounter lvl 6

Hey guys, just wanted to do a quick plug of the latest and final edition of my Material Manager tool for Maya.  Any feedback is welcomed, and I'll keep an eye on this thread for bug reports.  Thanks!

Material Manager 4

The Material Manager is an all-in-one interface for quickly interacting with scene materials.  Quickly sort, search, filter, create, rename, delete, search, and assign texture files with the click of a button!  This tool comes equipped with material presets that won't clutter up scene files and can be loaded in when they are needed, as well as an on-board color ID map baker.

Supported Maya Versions:  2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2014 LT, 2015 LT, 2016 LT

Read more and download at these locations:
  1. https://www.highend3d.com/maya/script/material-manager-for-maya
  2. https://gumroad.com/products/QSvJh
If you would like to donate after downloading, you can tip me on PayPal.  Very much appreciated but not necessary.  Only if you insist!

Primary Features

1. One-click Material Selection
  2. One-click Texture Map Assignment/Removal
  3. Smart Exporter Tool
  4. Harden UV Border Edges Tool
  5. Color ID Map Baker (not available in Maya LT)
  6. Automatic Color ID Tool
  7. Quick Lambert/Blinn/Phong & Checker Materials
  8. Texture Coordinate Indicator/Flipper
  9. Namespace Removal Tool
  10. Material Presets (compatible with Quixel's DDO)
  11. User-customizable Variables

Version History

25 February 2017 -- Version 4.3.0
  1. Updated labeling and annotations for some buttons
  2. Current Scene tab will now properly update after using channel control with multiple materials assigned to an object, and current objects should remain selected
  3. Added an option under Tools menu to open the Node Editor
  4. Added an option under Tools menu for the Colorize Material tool
  5. Fixed an issue where using the hotkey to close the Material Manager while docked would leave behind an empty tab (you must re-bind your hotkey for this to take effect)
  6. When two or more objects are selected that share the same namespace, using the Namespace Removal tool will no longer cause an error
  7. Added a button to duplicate marked materials
  8. Colorize Material tool will now return preset materials to their default colors instead of a neutral gray
  9. Fixed an issue where the ID Map Baker would cause an error if a shape node made its way into the selection
  10. ID Map Baker will now check to make sure the output file exists before prompting about a successful bake
  11. Suppressed various warning messages for the Material Manager and Smart Exporter
  12. Smart Exporter:  User-Modifiable Variables may now be changed and updated without having to restart Maya
  13. Smart Exporter:  Added a user-modifiable variable to adjust the width of the window and it's buttons / fields (for unusually long object / material names)
  14. Smart Exporter:  Changed the default behavior of the window to not snap to the Material Manager window.  This can be changed back in the User-Modifiable Variables in dp_MaterialManager.mel
  15. Smart Exporter:  Changed the default settings to export with all materials assigned (instead of lambert1/phong1).  This can be changed back in the User-Modifiable Variables in dp_SmartExport.mel

11 October 2016 -- Version 4.2.0
  1. New Feature!  Colorize Materials - This tool will colorize all materials assigned to a model for quick visualization.  Read button annotation for more information
  2. Fixed an oversight where the "Multiple Materials Detected" window functionality was incomplete
  3. Auto Color ID Tool:  Fixed an issue that was causing the tool to fail in Maya LT
  4. ID Map Baker:  Loading objects with children into the High Poly slot will now automatically select children to ensure a proper bake
  5. Quick Materials:  While holding CTRL to skip the naming prompt, the new material will now automatically assign to your selection
  6. Fixed an issue where using the Marking tools on individual, unmarked materials would sometimes not work
  7. Nameplates now correctly highlight after changing their size
  8. Renaming multiple materials at once will now prompt you in the order they appear in the Current Scene list
  9. Various impretinent warnings have been suppressed
  10. Smart Exporter:  Fixed an issue when checking a custom naming convention against materials only would not actually check the names

10 September 2016 -- Version 4.1.1

1. Fixed an oversight where the ID Map Baker would not work if loading more than one mesh into the Low Poly slot.  The baker currently only works with one model assigned to the Low Poly slot.  The High Poly slot can still have as many pieces loaded as needed
    2. Added a prompt to warn the user if the user attempts to load more than one mesh into the Low Poly slot
    3. Added a prompt for if the user attempts to load both the High Poly and Low Poly slots with the same mesh
    4. Changed the color of the Auto-assign Color IDs button to make it more obvious that it's a button
    5. Removed the specular reflection from the QUick Checker material

Replies

• chrisavigni
      Offline / Send Message
      chrisavigni polycounter lvl 6
      Great news! I've been using Ddo manager script and now it just got better! Tks a lot!
    • Sajeet
      Offline / Send Message
      Sajeet polycounter lvl 3
      ah sweet! :) thx for keeping this updated :)
    • furiouslul
      Offline / Send Message
      furiouslul polycounter lvl 2
    • kwyjibo
      Offline / Send Message
      kwyjibo triangle
      Thanks for the awesome script Bartalon! everything works great.

One problem though..

I can't seem to bake the color ID map from the high to low poly following the steps in your video. I'm using the Maya 2014 on OSx.

below is the error message from the script editor:

// Error: line 0: Failed to open output file: ...sourceimages\test_bake.png // 
      // Error: line 0: Failed to open IFF file for writing : ...sourceimages\test_bake.png.iff // 

No matter which file format or file size I select, I get the same error about iff file.

• Bartalon
      Offline / Send Message
      @kwyjibo Thanks for bringing this up.  That's and interesting bug, it seems to be specific to OSx.  If you can provide more information I can get a better idea of where to start looking for a solution:
      • Were you using a cage with your bake?
      • Were you able to pick a file location without any errors?
      • Did the file path, name, and format show up properly in the text field after picking it?
      • Was the bake able to start at all, or did the error happen as soon as you clicked the bake button?
      • Did you try picking a new file path after the first time (before baking) to see if the bake succeeds?
      • If you have any other versions of Maya (2013 or newer), does the problem persist there as well?
    • kwyjibo
      Offline / Send Message
      kwyjibo triangle
      I didn't use a cage. I could pick the file location without error. File name, path and format all seem fine in the text field. The bake seems to start and complete without issue (i can see the progress bar at the bottom of the screen) and then displays a message saying Success color ID map baked successfully. I've tried picking different save locations. I also tried it on my home computer (also osX) using Maya 2015, and encountered the same error. ie. file is not created. I'll try looking at it again later tonight. Maybe i'm following one of your steps incorrectly.
    • Bartalon
      Offline / Send Message
      Version 4.0.3 is out, with the following updates:
      1. Maya 2017 LT:  Fixed a bug that caused intermittent crashes when using the Dock menu
      2. Added a link to this thread in the Help menu
      3. Updated the Gumroad icon in the Help menu

If anyone else on OSx is having issues with the Color ID Map Baker, please send me a PM so I can work on getting it sorted.  Thanks :+1:
    • < ASH >
      Offline / Send Message
      < ASH > polycounter lvl 8
      Hey Dennis many thanks for the great upgrade to your tool ! :)
      As many others I was still using your old dDo Material manager plugin, but this new update/upgrade looks awesome (I haven't had the change to use it yet, I just installed it and watched the Breakdown video).
      EDIT: The new Smart Exporter is really great ! Recently I have been looking for a new fbx exporter (I am still using an old one not updated anymore, but it's quite basic). Your exporter has some nice features that will make the whole export process much faster and precise !

I also really like the new tool icon and because the default shelf icon is not the same one I quickly managed to make one taking it from the banner.png file: it works well on my shelf and I thought that maybe other people may like it (you can find it below).
      If you like it feel free to include it in future releases as additional icon.
      Btw keep up the good work and thanks again for your hard work. ;)
      Ash
    • Bartalon
      Offline / Send Message
      There have been a couple updates since my last post.  Version 4.1.1 is now available which fixes numerous bugs and a couple of version- and situation-specific crashes.  (Version history in original post.)

@Ash Yes, the new version is a refreshing update to what is/was bundled with Legacy dDo!  Also, I'll go ahead and add that icon in the next update :)
    • quatic
      Offline / Send Message
      quatic polycounter lvl 5
      can't find source on maya version 2016.5 ext 2
    • Bartalon
      Offline / Send Message
      @quatic it's working just fine on my end.  Can you provide any screen shots or error messages so I can look into this?
    • quatic
      Offline / Send Message
      quatic polycounter lvl 5
      Bartalon said:
      @quatic it's working just fine on my end.  Can you provide any screen shots or error messages so I can look into this?
      got skype?
    • Vit
      Offline / Send Message
      Vit vertex
      When I'm pressing on any preset name, I've got this error:
      "line 1953: setAttr: No object matches name: Brick.color".
      I found that in line 1951 of the code material take a suffix to its name. I delete  + ''_SG"  and all works.
    • Bartalon
      Offline / Send Message
      @Vit Hmm, that's strange!  It should definitely work without any code modifications.  Can you tell me which version of MM4 you are using, which version of Maya you are using, operating system, and whether this issue persists in an empty scene?

Thanks!
    • Vit
      Offline / Send Message
      Vit vertex
      @Bartalon
      Sure! I'm using windows 10, maya 2016 ext2. I don't have any other version of this script in my maya script folder.
    • Bartalon
      Offline / Send Message
      Great, thanks for the info!  I'll get this fixed up in the next update.  Glad to hear your code tweak works for the time being. :)
    • Vit
      Offline / Send Message
      Vit vertex
      Oh, I do nothing :) Thank you for this really good script! 
    • < ASH >
      Offline / Send Message
      < ASH > polycounter lvl 8
      Bartalon said:
      There have been a couple updates since my last post.  Version 4.1.1 is now available which fixes numerous bugs and a couple of version- and situation-specific crashes.  (Version history in original post.)

@Ash Yes, the new version is a refreshing update to what is/was bundled with Legacy dDo!  Also, I'll go ahead and add that icon in the next update :)
      I just got the last update (I probably missed the one from early September): you did a lot fixes and improvement: many thanks ! :)
    • Bartalon
      Offline / Send Message
      Hey everyone, just a quick update to let you know MM v4.3.0 is out!  I spent some time fixing up the Color ID Baker and Smart Exporter among other things.  You can read the Version History in the original post above to learn about what's new.  Download link is up there as well.

In addition to a lot of bug fixes, I've added a new tool which lets you use the marking system to duplicate materials along with their full upstream and downstream connections.  The button for this tool is nestled right between the refresh and search buttons, as seen below.

Cheers

• sadpunk
      Offline / Send Message
      sadpunk polycounter lvl 2
      Hi there,

I have an odd issue regarding baking ID maps. I can't seem to get it to work and I am sure I have followed the steps in the video. 

I have added and high, low and cage mesh. Entered a valid file path and auto-assigned colour IDs to my high poly model. 

Yet when I press the Bake Color ID Map button I get the following error message:

// Warning: line 0: Flags describing target surfaces must be included once for every surface

Am I missing a step? 

I'm using Maya 2016 SP6 Student on a Windows7 system. I have also tried it in Maya 2017 (I now realise this version isn't supported). 
    • Bartalon
      Offline / Send Message
      That's a new one!  Is it possible you have instances or identical names nested in different groups in your high/low poly selection?  If possible could you send me your file so I can investigate?

Thanks!
    • sadpunk
      Offline / Send Message
      Bartalon said:
      That's a new one!  Is it possible you have instances or identical names nested in different groups in your high/low poly selection?  If possible could you send me your file so I can investigate?

Thanks!
      Sure:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5wgr7zpzqpo2uq1/Thruster.mb?dl=0

Appreciate you taking the time to look at this issue. I would still rule in user error :-)
    • Bartalon
      Offline / Send Message
      Thanks, I'll get right on this and let you know when I figure something out!
    • Bartalon
      Offline / Send Message
      Alright I think I got a fix in, definitely no user error on your end!  Go ahead and grab the latest version.

Thanks for pointing this out!

• sadpunk
      Offline / Send Message
      Bartalon said:
      Alright I think I got a fix in, definitely no user error on your end!  Go ahead and grab the latest version.

Thanks for pointing this out!

Awesome thank you so much for response and rapid solution. Confirm fix works here too. 

I did try and drop you some cash via gumroad to help support further development but since I had already downloaded the plugin for $0  :| a while back I could not pay for something I have already "purchased".  

Do you have a PayPal account I could use to send a small payment to you for your efforts? 

Cheers,
      sp.
    • sadpunk
      Offline / Send Message
      Hi Bartalon, 

I am using your excellent material manager in production you will be pleased to know :) 

I have stumbled upon an issue however which you might be able to help with. 

Basically some of my material names are ending up quite long due to naming conventions etc. Would it be possible to add the ability to expand the material name field in the window to enable me to view longer material names? 

I have attached an extreme example which is a test scene maya renamed everything after a crash!  

Many thanks in advance. 

sp.
    • Bartalon
      Offline / Send Message
      Hey sadpunk,

Glad to hear the tool is proving useful for you!  Changing the width of the window is not supported in the current version of Material Manager.  In this specific and extreme example, you can use the namespace removal tool to shorten the material names to better fit the window.

In the meantime, you'll be happy to hear that I'm in the process of working on the next version which does include window width adjustment along with ranged toggling of markers, multi-string search filtering, wider support of materials including StingrayPBS, preset color swatches, the ability to easily and permanently include your own basic material presets, and many more things.

Stay tuned!
    • Sajeet
      Offline / Send Message
      Sajeet polycounter lvl 3
    • sadpunk
      Offline / Send Message
      #Tuned 

Nice one Bartalon 
    • bitinn
      Offline / Send Message
      bitinn triangle
      Bartalon said:
      Hey everyone, just a quick update to let you know MM v4.3.0 is out!  I spent some time fixing up the Color ID Baker and Smart Exporter among other things.  You can read the Version History in the original post above to learn about what's new.  Download link is up there as well.

In addition to a lot of bug fixes, I've added a new tool which lets you use the marking system to duplicate materials along with their full upstream and downstream connections.  The button for this tool is nestled right between the refresh and search buttons, as seen below.

Cheers

Hi Bartalon, thx for the great tool!

One question: this duplication feature seem to face the same issue as "Cmd + D" duplicate in Hypershade: it doesn't create the shading group automatically, so the duplicated material can't be assigned:

select -r Table_BarCounter_Low1|Counter_Low ;
      sets -e -forceElement internal_standInSE;
      // Error: line 1: No object matches name: internal_standInSE // 

See the screenshots (I am using Maya LT 2018, pretty sure this is the case in Maya LT 2017 too):

Sure I can create the shading group and connect it myself, but that's what I would like to automate :)

For your reference, this is how I would create a material along with shading group (it doesn't call menu item so no need to open Hypershade):

/*
        CreateMaterial - create a material and related shader group

input:
          - $MaterialPrefix / string / naming prefix of the material
          - $ShaderName / string / type of shader
          - $GroupPrefix / string / naming prefix of shader group
        return:
          - string[] / {material name, shader group name}
      */
      proc string[] CreateMaterial (
        string $MaterialPrefix, string $ShaderName, string $GroupPrefix
      ) {
        // material
        string $Material = `shadingNode -asShader $ShaderName -name $MaterialPrefix`;

// shading group
        string $ShadingGroup = `sets
          -renderable true
          -noSurfaceShader true
          -empty
          -name $GroupPrefix`;

// connect them
        connectAttr ($Material + ".outColor") ($ShadingGroup + ".surfaceShader");

return {$Material, $ShadingGroup};
      }

I think it should be possible to adapt this for duplication.
    • Bartalon
      Offline / Send Message
      bitinn,

Thanks for the input!  I've been aware of the bugs present in 4.X including this one.  The Duplicate Material tool has been completely rewritten, along with literally everything else.  I'm making sure that everything properly duplicates and all connected file and placeTexture2D nodes are appropriately renamed according to the name of the duplicated material.

I'll take a look at the code you've provided and see if it can help.  Thanks!

P.S.  To everyone - still no ETA but I am about 98% complete with rewriting all the code. I just have to do some testing and then record a video to cover all the new features.  Soon!

P.P.S.  If anyone is interested in helping me bug test the new version please send me a private message.