Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: PattyWhacker

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
PattyWhacker polycounter lvl 8
So far up to this point I've been posting individual threads for each model I've worked on, but I've decided to just post all of my work in this one thread from now on. I'm going to post updates as regularly as I can. I'm always looking for feedback on my work, so criticism is always welcome.

Over the year I've worked on a few of models with the spare time I've had (some of these projects I've put to the side or have abandoned). Two of them are pretty much complete and I plan on adding to my portfolio, but if these models can use some improvement, I'm all for suggestions. These two models are in-game resolution, rendered with Toolbag, and were conceptualized myself. The first of which is my Red Riding Hood model which I've made a thread about before and posted recent updates, but I'm going to post my work on that project in this thread as well. The idea behind this model is: what if Red Riding Hood were a badass werewolf hunter? Originally I was going to use someone else's concept, but I could not for the life of me find any concept art of Red Riding Hood which I liked. Most images I found were too sexual, and the rest did not resonate with me. Thus I decided to come up with my own concept, used actress Lauren Cohan for the face reference, and came up with this:

This second one is of a scorpion android I call "Scorpio." He's a character from a fictional universe I developed when I was a kid, which I've decided to reconceptualize for a 3d model just to give you guys a little background. This model is more of a personal project which I felt passionate about working on. I've posted a thread about this model as well a while back, but have not posted any updates in that thread in about a year. I finished this guy not too long (around Spring time). With that said, here's what I have:

For the sake of time and developing my portfolio, I may not use my own concepts for a long while.  I would really to hear about your input on these models. What do you think about these models? Do you like the concepts? What can be improved? Are these models portfolio worthy?Although I'm pretty much finished with these models, I may go back and make some tweaks here and there. As of right now though, I've moved onto another project.

Right now I want to focus on making a head bust of an old woman. My goal here is to successfully create a likeness sculpt. I thought this would be challenging and worth working on. I'm not going to worry about UV mapping or polygon count. I'm primarily going to work within Zbrush for this one. For the likeness, I decided to use my own grandmother. Hopefully I will finish this project before she inevitably passes away. Right now I've been working on her face, but I want to make sure I get this right before I begin work on the hair. Here are images of the model from multiple angles:

Here are my reference images:

So yeah! Be sure to leave a comment below and let me know of what you guys think of my models and anyway that I can improve. Thanks! 

Replies

• PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been doing a bit of work on the grandma model. I added a wig and a button up shirt. 

The wig is based off these images:

Please let me know if there are any ways I can improve on the model. Thank you!
  • Chiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chiffy polycounter lvl 7
    Hey man! You've got some pretty cool work in here, good job! The latest piece you posted is nice, I like the wrinkles you've got on her face, maybe try accentuating them more around her cheeks/side of her face. I think you could push the pores on her too, her nose in particular looks kinda smooth. The hair is pretty cool, fiber mesh right? If you're going for an exact likeness you can also overlay the image in zbrush (using spotlight) on her to spot check how yours matches up. Looking forward to updates!
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ChiffyHey I really appreciate your feedback. I will definitely consider your advice. 

I just took a break from my Grandmother head bust and decided to work on a Zeus concept by the OfficialROTP on deviant art (you can view his artwork here: http://officalrotp.deviantart.com/). The goal I'm trying to achieve is to show off realistic male anatomy. I thought I would work off this concept art since I thought it was interesting. Eventually I'm going to pose this and possibly texture it. 

Concept:

Full body:

Head:

Torso:

Hand:

Anyway I would like to read some of your thoughts on this. If you notice anything off or if there are any areas which I can improve, please let me know. 
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been working more on Zeus for the past several days and decided to finally pose him. Before I work on this model's cape and cloth, I would like to get some feedback for the anatomy. Thanks.

• PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While making the Zeus model, I also worked a bit on this lion warrior model that I worked on about a year ago. This time, I tweaked the proportions, added detail, fixed the cape, and added low polygon planes for in-game resolution hair. This model is based off of a concept by Hye-Young Choi. I don't think the artist knows that I'm working on this concept, but I thought it was too awesome of a concept to ignore. Hopefully the artist is okay with me using it. You can view this person's work at nohoart.tistory.com.

Concept:

Body Shot:

Head close up:

I left out the two swords as the detail for the swords do not exist in the concept. I'm not if I should create the swords and add my own design, or if I should keep the swords absent. Please let me know what you guys think.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Your work is progressing well, I like the big shapes on this last guy. You could include more of the strong pose he has in the concept even at early stages of modelling eg his hips  should be pushed forward and shoulders back and apart. This stuff is what gives the character that cool hero look. Your previous characters hands look too basic, like youve mostly got the base shape and then the detail on top but missed the step where you make medium sized shapes (muscles, bones, lumps of skin). Use good reference like this and seriously go for accuracy https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/Human-Hands-Front-Back.jpg

this shows the volume the inner palm shapes have http://eastwestcollege.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/April2015-Blog-HumanHands.jpg

I also think that your earlier pieces, red riding hood and scorpio could do with a better beauty presentation. For example really interesting lighting like this goes a long way to convincing people you are more than just a technician who can use software but an artist who understands how to make something look beautiful  like this

http://static1.gamespot.com/uploads/scale_super/1179/11799911/2953831-woolfe2.jpg
    http://epmgaa.media.lionheartdms.com/img/photos/2015/03/11/2010_tron_evolution-wide-1-.jpg
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the feedback Ged. I think I'll pose the lion warrior later after I texture, but thanks for pointing that out. I actually didn't notice the lion's pulled back stance. So you think I could use better lighting? All right I guess I'll have to find a tutorial somewhere about this issue. In any case I recently worked more on Zeus. I added cloth and sculpted a bolt of lightning. Here are BPR renders.

• PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been awhile since I posted and for the past few months I've been working on several different projects. First off, I worked more on my Scorpio model. Over the months, I was not exactly satisfied with this model. I fixed the neck area, chest, completely overhauled the claw, the position of the tail, and the joints around the arms, and legs needed improvement too. Not only did I remodel some pieces of the model, I completely re-textured the model as well. The model is black, but I used blue lighting in the render.

• PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also wanted to work on a female anatomy study. For this subject, I used Scarlett Johansson as my reference (who hasn't used this actress?). I'm not worrying too much about rendering this in Toolbag, just rendering within Zbrush.

Reference images:

Model:

A few months back I textured the Lion Warrior model. I didn't post it for a long time since I was trying to figure out how to improve the textures. Moved on to Scarlett, then Scorpio again, and here I am. There are issues with the fur, the hair looks flat and unconvincing, and clothing looks bland. In-game resolution hair is one of my weak points that needs to improve. I need your guys' help on this one.

Anyway, I'd really like to hear your feedback on these models. I think I'm completely done with Scorpio and I'll only go back to fix minor, easily fixable issues, but please feel free to comment on that model. Making in-game resolution hair definitely isn't my specialty. So if any you know of any good in-game resolution hair video tutorials, please let me know. I checked out paid sites like Gnomons Workshop and Digital Tutors, but have yet to come across an in-depth video tutorial on this matter from start to finish. Not only do I have an issue with my Lion Warrior model, I look back at Red Riding Hood and the hair there looks kind of blah. Before I pose Scarlett, if you have any criticisms about that model, please send them my way. Thank you so much.
  • PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finally put together my portfolio. Please check out the current state of my portfolio at patrickkrause3d.carbonmade.com. I'd like to hear all your thoughts on what can be improved. In the mean time I created a simple, cartoon Mega Man wannabe. Not much wrinkles on the clothing as of yet. I am planning on posing the character before doing such a thing. I'm aiming for a more Pixar-esque look. If you have any criticisms about the design, please let me know. Thank you.

• PattyWhacker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Behold! Mega Man is ready for action! Model rendered in Marmoset Toolbag.