Home Technical Talk

Learning a shader language without knowing the graphics api?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Defunct polycounter lvl 10
Hi just started learning about shader programming with GLSL after seeing some really cool effects on https://www.shadertoy.com/  and a few other places & games. So far I've only done simple things like changing color over time. Is it possible to master this without much knowledge of the openGL api. Or, should I stop and learn how to use OpenGL first before digging deeper into its shading language?

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Knowing how to use shader languages is still useful on its own, especially if you use Unity.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's no real benefit in knowing how to code the stuff that renders to screen using a specific API unless you're writing your own program that needs 3D, or your touching onto low level GL calls or something.

Mostly you'll do just fine knowing the shader side of it if that's all you want to mess around with (i.e. writing shaders for stuff rather than writing the stuff that uses shaders).

It can be helpful to understand what data is getting passed in and passed around,  but by and large that's fairly similar across all the APIs until you get into the really technical differences, so a high level understanding will probably do you fine.
  • Defunct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    Alright thanks guys!
    @Farfarer  Phew, that's good to know. Writing 3d software seems like a daunting task. l'll just focus on the shader side for now.