Home Technical Talk

3DS Max - Normal Map Baking Problem

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Spencer_Holmes polycounter lvl 6
Hi. I have been trying to bake a normal map in 3D Studio Max. Everytime I do it, the normal map is created but there is nothing on it. It is empty. I have been having problems for a while now with baking textures in max. I have followed every tutorial on the subject and still, I cannot do it. It is driving me crazy  :3

I have attached a video link, which I captured of me trying to bake down some geometry to a plane. Hopefully, someone can identify, what, if anything, I am doing wrong. I would love to overcome this obstacle as it is really holding me back. Please help.

Video of me trying to bake: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KSkf49TZrc

Kind Regards

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Max's baking is antiquated at this stage. Have you considered baking elsewhere? Or if you insist on Max baking check out(google) the script 'Get Baked'

Open the result in PS. Max render doesn't display the NM as you would expect. Also. Your 'high' isn't going to give you any depth as the projection reads it. It is just a straight-on projection. You need to taper or chamfer/bevel the top. The perceived depth you see from a perpendicular view is what the projection sees, in this case nothing.
  • Spencer_Holmes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I understand. So, if I look from the top view, then everything looks like a flat plane. Beings though baking in max is old, should I sculpt a wall onto a plane into a plane in Mudbox and then bake that down to a plane?
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Yes, it will look like a flat plane. Max is perfectly fine for baking to a plane as it's the easiest possible baking scenario. I just always hated its setup for baking. You could use Mudbox if you prefer. Try it out and see what you think. Or try xnormal or handplane as they're both free. Always good to have options and a few strings in your bow.
  • Spencer_Holmes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thankyou for your response and help. I can now bake in Max, yay!
  • Elrinion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elrinion polycounter lvl 2
    Are your bricks in anyway chamfered? Because if they aren't, there will be nothing to put on the normal map.

Also check if the renderer is using the projection modifier specified by you or using an auto created one.

Also check if the UV mapping is correct, and ifs set to the correct UV on the baker.