Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wrinkled Smoothing causing bad normal map

Dominic Sewell
polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Dominic Sewell polycounter lvl 4
Hey guys its probably a quick fix but whenever I smooth this gas tank, maya spits out this strange topology along the bottom of the tank this is appearing in my normal map once I bake it 

Could anyone inform me how to fix the strange "wrinkling" when smoothing

Low Poly (with normal map)

High Poly

Thanks in Advance

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    This is very typical of what happens when you cap your cylinders with a trangle fan (might be a quad pole in your case?)

There might be better solutions but mine would be to just not use a fan. If you don't want to mess with the topology this looks like a shape that would be pretty easy to create in a few seconds by deforming a quad sphere.
  • Dominic Sewell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AtticusMars Thats the first ive ever heard of that so thank you this seems to do the job is this the correct sort of topology you were advising?
  • Stenofo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stenofo polycounter lvl 2
    Hello Virtualinsomnia.
    What Atticusmars actually meant is you should rebuild that detail from scratch:
    -Make a cube
    -Apply two sub-d iterations to the cube
    -Freeze/apply the sub-d modifier (or how it is called in your 3d app). You must get a polygonal object
    Now you have a sphere which is all quads, omogeneous in structures and has no poles: a good starting point.
    -Delete half of the sphere and use the rest to rebuild your object.
    Please note that the spherified cube is not a perfect sphere, you'll have to use a spherify/relax vertices command. I discovered this techniques while doing helmets, regular object structure helps a ton!
  • Dominic Sewell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both for the advice its very much appreciated i think ive gotten the idea now