Home Technical Talk

Slow performence with GTX 950 in Substance Painter

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
kolayamit polycounter lvl 13
Hi,
 I am using the latest trial version of Substance Painter, my configuration -  AMD FX 8350, GTX 950, 16GB ram, 128GB SSD and Windows 10. I am using a lowpoly Crate model, while creating an empty fill layer and changing parameters it takes 30secs to 1 min to see the changes in scene. This happens even when i change the color of the fill layer, it takes about a minute to update the color change in the scene. Do i need to upgrade my graphics card to use Substance Painter.

Replies

• kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anybody using Substance Painter with GTX 950?
  • kurt_hectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    AMD FX 8350 -> ??
    Do you have a PC or a laptop? Any integrated graphic card? (force to turn it off).
    Do you have problems only in this soft? How Fps looks like in the games?
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PC only, motherboard has no integrated video. I have played CS GO it's working fine.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    If your texture output is set to 4k try lowering it, 3gb is the recommended amount of Vram to do 4k.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I noticed that Substance Painter2 seems to be slightly slower than the previous version on my system - not a huge difference, but it's definitely there. It would be great if you could upload your file for people to give it a spin.
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    Could you post your dxdiag file? What's your NVidia driver version number?
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes i was using 4k, i switched to 2k textures and i can see all the parameter changes instantly. Thank you @Scruples

I guess i have to switch to atleast a 3GB card to use 4K, will upgrade when newer models are available in India.

Here is my dxdiag screenshot, @Jerc , driver version - 365.19 whql

• kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior said:
    I noticed that Substance Painter2 seems to be slightly slower than the previous version on my system - not a huge difference, but it's definitely there. It would be great if you could upload your file for people to give it a spin.
    Sorry cannot share this asset, another friend has also worked in this asset :)
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Oh yea dude, 4k is pretty damn taxing regardless of your video card. A friend has a 980ti and when the layers start to stack up, Painter definitely slows down. I'm on a 290 at work and a 390 at home and I try to stay away from 4k whenever possible as the painting is never quite fluid. 

I would say for comfortable painting either paint at 1k or 2k and then uprez to 4k for export (which is sounds like youre doing already).

• kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni said:
    Oh yea dude, 4k is pretty damn taxing regardless of your video card. A friend has a 980ti and when the layers start to stack up, Painter definitely slows down. I'm on a 290 at work and a 390 at home and I try to stay away from 4k whenever possible as the painting is never quite fluid. 

I would say for comfortable painting either paint at 1k or 2k and then uprez to 4k for export (which is sounds like youre doing already).

I wonder which card would be best to work on 4k!!

That is the workflow that i have to plan now :)
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am having serious lag when painting at 2K, it seems like i can only work on 1k. Please take a look at the video -

https://youtu.be/_Ivbrb5nckU

Is there any solution, or this is what i supposed to get with a GTX 950 :)

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    From my experience, that's pretty much what will happen with a 950. (Comparing to 2k with a 390 or 780)
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well i can work with 4K channel and 4K paint buffer in Mari with the exact same model without any lag, please take look at the video -

https://youtu.be/ZenQmPcoIdI

• kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So Substance painter is more resource hungry then Mari !!!! Well i was planning to buy Substance Painter from Steam, unfortunately that's not possible with a GTX 950 :)
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You are comparing painting on 5 or 6 different channels at the same time (5x2048 including an HDR texture) at the bottom of a big layer stack in Painter vs painting on a single texture on a single layer in Mari, not a very fair comparison :)
    Collapsing all you folders in your layer stack instead of having them all open should already make a big difference with performance. Also making sure that only the channels that are actually useful are painted on by deactivating the ones you don't need in the brush settings will help A LOT.
    Also, your brush is set to Tangent Wrap alignment, which is true 3d painting and is the most computation expensive. Mari uses projection, which the equivalent in Painter is Camera alignment, and is also much faster.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That absolutely explains everything! Waiting for the gtx 10 series release here in India to work on 4k textures in SP. If it can run 4k fine, then I will immediately buy this beautiful software :smile:
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi Jerc - since performance is being discussed here I though I'd ask: is there an example file/project somewhere that we could use as a benchmark for performance reports ? Something with a reasonable number of dynamic layers and materials, and an ID map-based material separation.

Seing the kind of performance people are getting on the same file with various video cards would be very interesting. As a matter of fact I am actually just about to upgrade my card, so this is precisely the kind of information I am looking for ! I'd be also very curious to double check if there is indeed a difference in performance between 1.7 and 2, as I *think* I personally experienced a small performance drop after switching over, but this might have been very specific to my project and/or layer stack.
  • kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That would be great !!
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    This project here is probably a good typical example: https://share.allegorithmic.com/libraries/1633
    That's the project we use to do our live demos at studios and events. I use a laptop with a 960 for my live demos and I use a 980 at home.

As for performance differences between 1.7 and 2.0, some people have reported a boost, some have reported a slowdown, but from our point of view, the changes should not dramatically increase nor decrease performance between the 2 builds.

I am finding though that sometimes Painter will react slower after a long period of not actually shutting down my computer but only set it to sleep, let's say for a few days. A fresh restart usually fixes it.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi again Jerc - would it be possible to have access to a 1.7 version of the example file ? The project updates itself correctly when loading it in 2.0.5, but it is still too recent/incompatible with 1.7.

Either that, or maybe another file altogether allowing for comparaison between 1.7 and 2 ?

(Thanks for the warning about sleep mode btw, I'll definitely keep it in mind when testing.)

On an unrelated note, is there any plan for a "zoom to cursor" feature that one could chose to enable or disable ? And a "center camera to cursor location" function too. These would help navigation quite a lot for character projects. The way the camera tumbles around the surface point that the cursor is hovering over is extremely useful already, so from there the navigation could be refined even further for maximum responsiveness. (I will send you a detailed video explanation later)

• kolayamit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just bought a Quadro k4200 !! Sold my GTX 950. I will post the performance results next week.