Home Adobe Substance

Painter crashed - "selected project isn't valid!"

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
mobkon polycounter lvl 6
Painter 2 crashed my whole computer (got a grey screen) when I was working. I had just saved and started doing another task within the program and that's when it crashed. Got a grey screen and it automatically restarted my computer.

Once back in Windows 7, I loaded up Painter again, tried to load my file and it gave me an error saying "[Project management] The selected project 'C:/XXXXXXXXXX/project.spp' isn't valid!"

It loads other projects fine. I've tried running as administrator as well to no avail.

I also strangely get a bunch of other load errors upon starting Painter now as well:

[ResourceExportPreset] Failed to load export preset 'Additional maps' [Invalid binary data]

[ResourceExportPreset] Failed to load export preset 'Amazon Lumberyard' [Invalid binary data]

[ResourceExportPreset] Failed to load export preset 'Arnold' [Invalid binary data]

[ResourceExportPreset] Failed to load export preset 'Corona' [Invalid binary data]

[ResourceExportPreset] Failed to load export preset 'CryEngine 3' [Invalid binary data]

[ResourceExportPreset] Failed to load export preset 'Dota 2' [Invalid binary data]

[ResourceExportPreset] Failed to load export preset 'PBR MetalRough (Folder or PSD Group)' [Invalid binary data]

[ResourceExportPreset] Failed to load export preset 'PBR MetalRough' [Invalid binary data]

[ResourceExportPreset] Failed to load export preset 'PBR SpecGloss' [Invalid binary data]

[ResourceExportPreset] Failed to load export preset 'Redshift' [Invalid binary data]

[ResourceExportPreset] Failed to load export preset 'Shade 3D' [Invalid binary data]

[ResourceExportPreset] Failed to load export preset 'SpecGloss (non PBR)' [Invalid binary data]

[ResourceExportPreset] Failed to load export preset 'Unity 4' [Invalid binary data]

[ResourceExportPreset] Failed to load export preset 'Unity 5 (Standard Metallic)' [Invalid binary data]

[ResourceExportPreset] Failed to load export preset 'Unity 5 (Standard Specular)' [Invalid binary data]

[ResourceExportPreset] Failed to load export preset 'Unreal Engine 4 (Packed)' [Invalid binary data]

[ResourceExportPreset] Failed to load export preset 'Vray' [Invalid binary data]

----------------

But even though I get these load errors, other projects seem to load ok. I'm just mainly concerned about getting all my work back

Anyone have any ideas how to save my work? :neutral:

Replies

• Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    Can you send me the project ? I'm afraid it might be corrupted. (If you can also attach your log file too, see the Help menu to export it.)
    As for the other errors about the export presets, they are most probably corrupted too. Not sure why that would happen however. You can try to force a reinstallation of the shelf, see : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Shelf+is+empty
  • roboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roboy polycounter lvl 11
    Hopefully Froyok can sort you out but it seems like it's gone... would deleting assbin help at all? Haven't experienced a corrupt file with Substance yet (touch wood!) so I haven't a clue

For future purposes I would strongly suggest using Dropbox or similar that allow you to download previous file versions - the amount of times this has saved me is beyond belief, my trusty friend Robin coming in to save me from a dire situation :)
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    roboy said:
    would deleting assbin help at all?

The assbin file is pre-computed data for the high-poly meshes when using the bakers, they have no impact on the project itself.
  • mobkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mobkon polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the responses guys.

So, I just ended up redoing the whole project from scratch. Took a few hours but was actually worth it in the end since I am actually liking the newer version better.

But, Substance is still crashing on me with this project. Every now and then (maybe every 30-40 minutes) I get a solid color on my screen...usually a dark brown or blue and the whole computer just stays like that. Only way to fix it is to restart the computer. Luckily (knock on wood) I haven't gotten any corrupt files. Though if I did happen to, I am making sure to save new versions of the file each time I save. I have a lot of files, but I don't want to lose work like last time.

Could my mesh be the culprit? It's an FBX right out of Maya 2016.

edit: oh, and reinstalling Painter fixed the missing presets on load!
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    That sounds more like a screen/GPU issue to me.
    Can you attach your log file ?
    See : https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Exporting+the+log+file
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The only times I've seen brown or blue freezes, either in SP or in games, was when my old AMD 280X was overheating du to its subpar cooling system.