Home Unreal Engine

Unreal 4 problems importing a mesh?

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Evil_Fischi polycounter lvl 3

Hi everyone,
I have stumbled over a problem. Somehow Unreal does not import my meshes the right way. Here It somehow destroys my uvs. The first pic is from Unreal, the second from Max. I have exported the mesh as an FBX.
Does anyone have an solution? Am I missing something? Also I have tried it with checking the auto generate Lightmap uv.

Replies

• Evil_Fischi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    When I export the mesh as an obj, everything is fine, but when I export it as fbx I get those artifacts....
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Have you tried nuking your model? As in applying a Normal Modifier to the piece, collapse it then flip the normals in polygon mode so the normals are facing the right way again... then apply a reset XForms and collapse it again as well, then re-export it into UE4? I tend to do this stuff whenever my meshes start acting all weird (Consider it like deleting the history in Maya). I also tend to do this for .FBX models since they carry much more data/settings about the mesh within it, so any scaling/odd rotations etc can be picked up in UE4. .OBJ exports tend to completely nuke the file back to a point where it can be considered a brand new mesh which is probably why .OBJ is working for you and .FBX isn't.

hope that fixes it!
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    What .fbx version plug are you exporting with? Try rolling  back  to 2014/15 if using newer.
  • Nathan3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nathan3D polycounter lvl 7
    I used to have this problem it's something to do with the FBX exporter try using a different one for now if you put an edit mesh modifier on your object then export it with that on it will be fine

• Evil_Fischi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all!
    I have tested out @Adelphia s workaround and it helped. Does anybody know why this happens?