Home General Discussion

Quick freelance question

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
I've been doing a little freelance work for a 3d printing client. The model I was assigned was fairly angular but I thought I could save some time by doing a rough low poly and then cleaning it up in ZBrush rather than going with a proper hard surface mesh. As it turned out this wasn't really a great call and the result it passable, but not really good enough for the clients needs.

What I'm wondering is whether I should cut the billable hours down given that I wasted a bunch of time following a path that was in retrospect fairly obviously not the right one. It's a few hundred bucks, but it seems like it might be the professional thing to do.

What's the usual process here?

Replies

• Steppenwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steppenwolf polycounter lvl 15
    You probably shouldn't bill him for the hours it took to fix unless it was made clear from the beginning that this would be a learning experience for you with the potential of throwbacks. Also depends on how much you value a good future relationship with this client.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
     "it seems like it might be the professional thing to do" 
    *Thumbs Up*
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    What's the usual process here?
    "eat it" :smile:

I'm currently on a 3d printing gig too with a firstimer.  I just negotiated a flat rate instead of hourly since it's a fairly easy projecte to do.

If you don't wanna eat the extra cost, try explaining and negotiating for extras.  Extra dollars, deadlines, charge or no charge edits, etc.  Personally, I'd only do it if it's a complex model with a budget reaching at least $1K.  Whatever's fair between me and the client that's how I'll move forward.