Home Technical Talk

Maya scripts/plug-ins. Mostly for modelling.

yursiv
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
yursiv polycounter lvl 10
Hi!
Here is my first plugin i want to share. It is for duplicating objects along curve. 
You can find on creativecrush some scripts for that, but i want some features that i cant find there.
So here is video. Hope it describes main ideas:
It is still WIP, so i would be glad for ideas.

Released/Updated scripts

Curve tweaker script

Replies

• throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You rock! I was just playing with this too! I do have a small problem, but you have a new version, so maybe it's no issue now. The UI density slider only works when I re-enter the tool, and the default is much too large. (I thought it was broken at first) I really like how elegant the tool is with the sculpt-like hotkeys, the new duplicate stuff looks great too!

I'm looking for a better hair workflow, getting curves down is a pain sometimes, so I think this will be a big help. Would it be possible to add the ability to tweak any curve in the scene instead of the currently selected one without selecting it first? Or to also make the same tweaks to a set of selected curves, such as a hair clump.

In your marking menu, I saw "polyStrip" and got excited. :D
  • yursiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for feedback.
    I will fix problem with need re-entering asap.
    polyStrip node is for creating polygonal strip along curve on top of polyobject. I want share it too 

• yursiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You rock! I was just playing with this too! I do have a small problem, but you have a new version
    You can check new version. See first post.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I'm getting this error when I try to run the script:
    # Error: NameError: file c:\...\ysvCurveTweakerCtx.py line 67: global name 'getInVewObjs' is not defined # 
    I'm on 2016 ext 2 in case that matters.
  • yursiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for that, you can redownload it from CC. Read description, installation path changed and added some files and shelf with button
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A few bugs:
    When double clicking the shelf for the option box, I get:
    # Error: TypeError: file C:\apps\Autodesk\Maya2016.5\Python\lib\site-packages\pymel\internal\pmcmds.py line 134: Invalid arguments for flag 'v'.  Expected int, got unicode #

If multiple curves are drawn to the same poly surface, the start or end points snap to the nearest curve, (probably based on the Step size). The cylinder in this case; if I drag a curve off of it, it doesn't snap, but if i drag it back to anywhere on that cylinder, it snaps back to the other curves, regardless of where I released the mouse. But if I draw a new curve, it doesn't snap until I try to tweak it, and only then if the start/end CV's will be affected by that tweak.

Ctrl+LMB tends to leave CV's visible, which can get messy.

I really like the new soft select, and being able to freely tweak a curve if it's not selected, thanks for that!
  • yursiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "throttlekitty 
    said:
    If multiple curves are drawn to the same poly surface, the start or end points snap to the nearest curve, (probably based on the Step size). The cylinder in this case; if I drag a curve off of it, it doesn't snap, but if i drag it back to anywhere on that cylinder, it snaps back to the other curves, regardless of where I released the mouse. But if I draw a new curve, it doesn't snap until I try to tweak it, and only then if the start/end CV's will be affected by that tweak.
    "
    THis is a feature. It can be switched of in UI, which you cannot see, because it  didnt work for  you((.
    A will fix it asap((( 

I will make video to explain how tool work. I think all this options little bit confusing.
  • yursiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or i got it. You have different optionVars on you machine in this version of scripts.
    It difers from previous version. just paste this one time in python tab of script editor and press cntrl+enter: 
    ================================
    from pymel.core import *
    optionVar(fv=('ysvPaintCurveStep', 1.0))
    optionVar(fv=('ysvPaintCurveSliderMin', 1.0))
    optionVar(fv=('ysvPaintCurveSliderMax', 20.0))
    optionVar(iv=('ysvPaintCurveSelectBehavior', 1))
    optionVar(sv=('ysvPaintCurveShowCVs', 'No'))
    optionVar(iv=('ysvLockEndCVs', 1))
    optionVar(iv=('ysvSnapToCurves', 0))
    optionVar(iv=('ysvSnapToMeshes', 1))
    optionVar(iv=('ysvCutCurves', 0))
    optionVar(iv=('ysvSnapToEnds', 1))
    ================================
     UI will work normally. 
    To disable snapping to curve ends turn off option ' snap to ends' and/or 'snap to curves'
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Much better this way, thanks!
    I think most of it is easy to understand except "cut curves while snapping", but videos are still helpful.
  • yursiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last 4 options is for retopology and desingned to work for curves on polysuface. If first or last cv of painted( or tweaked) curve snaps to another curve(but not to this curve first/last cvs) this will cut that curve. This way you can draw patches for lofts or boundaries