Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cloth sculpting

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Sunray polycounter lvl 7
Hey i'm working on a character and i was wondering if i could get some feedback on my pants. i don't really care about the shirt because it will be mostly coverd up.This is my first time sculpting cloth and i feel like the wrinkles are very bad haha.

Replies

• Amaury
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    I'm no master of cloth sculpting but like Dustin says analyse references and you should see recurrent wrinkle patterns that correspond to the type of pressure applied and type of material. (diamonds, S, Y, etc...)

Those cargo pants you're sculpting should stick more to the body in the crotch area as this is usually the part where it's tighter, there's more tension and memory folds are more likely to appear. I don't know if you're going for high boots of regular shoes, but if the pants aren't tucked in the shoes and relax, the cloth should float more freely at the bottom (unless this is a skinny fit ?)
    The pockets would benefit from not having the wrinkles making a perfect continuity with the rest of the pants. Right now they look very flat.

Pic related : the front crotch is pretty flat, lots of memory folds since this area is stretched a lot during walk. The back of the knee is again composed of really tight memory folds caused by compression in a small area. In the very bottom, larger wrinkles, this time caused by tension from a hanging point, going from up to down where it relax and compress naturally depending on the length of the jeans, its material properties, and how it falls on the shoes.
    This might not be the type of pants you want to emulate but some principles can apply to your cargo pants. Again I'm not very good at cloth so I may be wrong on some parts, you guys feel free to correct me.

Keep it up, I'd want to see updates on this !
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    @dustinbrown  hey, i totally agree with you about sculpting cloth rather than going into marvelous. I feel like it's very important to be able to sculpt it yourself and really understand how cloth works. I think it's just as important as learning anatomy there are so many programs today that will create a human body for you but you still need to know the anatomy to make changes or adjustments. As one of my favorite 3d artist say never start with a base mesh if you have the time to do it from scratch. Because it's really good practice for sculpting so I want to do the same for cloth I also had no idea about different types of folds (diaper, zigzag, etc), I'm going to look into that and going to look for some good drawing guides for cloth. For as this character goes it's for my school project and getting closer and closer to the deadline so I'm going to redo the pants at the end if I have some time left. 

I'm definitely going to get a lot of reference for the other cloth of this character thanks for all the tips and advice.

• Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    @Amaury Hey, thanks for your reply I'm definitely going to remove the wrinkles from the pockets the pic you attached seems very nice. The thing you said about stretching and wrinkles really helps I will make sure to hold that in the back of my head by the next time that I'm sculpting cloth. And I will make sure to have some more float at the button and make sure it looks like there is tension at the crotch area. 

Thanks for sharing.
  • artofmars
    Offline / Send Message
    artofmars polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the knowledge dump Dustin :D
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7
    Thank you so much, I'm going to do a serious cloth study as soon as I finish my school project. These look very nice can't wait to get to them.
  • Sunray
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunray polycounter lvl 7

quick high poly render of the boots.