Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Cryo Chamber (Halo Fanart)

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
After playing through Halo 4 again, I decided to try and remake the following scene in UE4.

So far I've got the blockout done, as well as most of my assets. I haven't yet decided if I am going to add the snow to the level, as I'm on a tight schedule at the moment, but here is what I've got so far.

I've been using Substance Painter exclusively for all my texture work. Still WIP, including, and especially, the lighting. I do realize it's quite dark at the moment, but I feel like it kind of works? Maybe I need a slap in the face. Bear in mind, I'm not trying to go for an exact copy of the Halo 4 scene, but rather looking into making the whole thing a lot more dramatic, more interesting, and have an overall better mood to it.
What's left to do:

-Proper lighting
-The front door/hallway leading out
-Big central support thingy
-Cables and wires
-TV/Monitor
-Tileable generic sci-fi panelling for the walls
-Particles/Atmospheric effects
-Snow? 

Any and all critiques are very much appreciated!
Cheers.

Replies

• kohg
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 8
    looking really good. Though i prefer the desolate look of the concept, either add the snow or sand and turn the cryo pad lights off. If you're going for a more clear, polished look then disregard what i said.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I will keep that in mind man :)
  • sziada
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    I would still work on the lighting, but I am kinda getting pumped to see where this can go!  :)
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice work.
    Only thing I would add is the snow. It adds a lot of dramatic mood to the scene (in my opinion)
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! Looks like I'll be adding the snow in later then, once I finish up the remaining assets that need to be tossed in!
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Still working on some assets that need to be modelled, but I tweaked the lighting and brought up some details in the shadows that were otherwise previously lost.

• Luxap
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    Looking sweet so far! Was thinking about doing a concept like this myself.
    The snow would really add a lot to this scene, but I do love some clean versions and adding my own touch to things, so go with your gut and just do what you want to make.

Be sure to in the end post the models seperatly with wireframes and such, people love to see those

No matter which route you take here, love to see more of this and it's looking nice so far.
    Keep us updated!

And finish this one (preferably the other one as well haha) 

• Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    So I've moved along a bit. Most of the assets are done and I'm considering adding some snow now that I have a bit of time left. 
    I'll look into getting some wires and texture flats posted once I get around to it! 

• Chase
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    Long time halo fan, first time caller. Dude, Will. I don't have any crits. Just to say holy moses you nailed this scene. Atmospherically, feels just like the game. Congrats my man!
  • noscope
    Offline / Send Message
    noscope polycounter lvl 6
    Nice scene and its a good recreation of the original. I would say add the snow and push the roughness detail. At the moment it looks like 1 type of flat metal with almost no albedo or roughness breakup. You could push the scene so much further and give it more character than the original with some real texturing. Keep going!
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, I agree, I've been looking into that. It's funny you mention this, noscope, because I was wondering why my floor wasn't looking the way I textured it in Substance Painter. Like you said, "real texturing" is what I've done already. I have lots of surface and roughness detail in my maps, but I think because of the oblique angle the camera is at, the the strong light, it's just not picking up the detail I've put in. I'm going to try to exaggerate the roughness scratches and details in the floor to see if that helps a bit.
  • Kid.in.the.Dark
    Offline / Send Message
    Kid.in.the.Dark polycounter lvl 6
    Just to see whether you may have missed this... Generally anything you screenshot from UE4's editor is slightly downres'd.. unless you configure a bunch of the project settings to kill off any use of LOD'ing... but it may be of use to drop into the game and taking HighResScreenshot's from inside play-mode to get those fine details you're not seeing in the editor... they may actually be visible already just due to compression issues it may not be viewing up for you? Just what I've gathered from seeing the Editor HUD so this is obviously a editor screenshot and all.

But I agree with what noscope said either way, it does seem like there's one continuous metal plane and could do with some material break up.

Good work either way! keep it up.