Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Scifi Western Rail Gun Revolver

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
JonConley polycounter lvl 8
Current work on it is after about 6 hours. I have been learning to use proboolean and have been using smoothing groups with turbsmooth to do the subd work. I will definitely have to edit some loops by hand, but so far am happy with where this has progressed.

Finished, Crit is still welcome.

model

Replies

• JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished up the low poly today and got a bake done. Sight is a 2k map currently and the Weapon is 4k.
    Sight using the proboolean method, rest of the weapon uses a more traditional subd workflow.

Low + Normals + AO in marmoset (few issues in the middle of the sight only showing in marmo - solved)
    EDIT: solved the issue with the weird areas, had to change the tangent space of the meshes (will have fixed on next post)

Wires:

Low

• mbp1225
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mbp1225 polycounter lvl 9

I - Baking errors.
    II - Waviness. Have a look at this.
    III - Is the grip supposed to look like that?
    IV - If this is made for first person view, you can get away with making this flat since it probably won't be seen. If it's for third person, you can probably get away with making this flat too since it probable never will be seen up close.
    V - These edges are too hard and probably won't look good at a distance. This can be seen throughout the gun but these look particularly bad. Have a look at this.
    Something else: This looks like a break open revolver but, looking at your wireframe, you can't actually do that with this model.
  • mbp1225
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mbp1225 polycounter lvl 9

I - Baking errors.
    II - Waviness. Have a look at this.
    III - Is the grip supposed to look like that?
    IV - If this is made for first person view, you can get away with making this flat since it probably won't be seen. If it's for third person, you can probably get away with making this flat too since it probable never will be seen up close.
    V - These edges are too hard and probably won't look good at a distance. This can be seen throughout the gun but these look particularly bad. Have a look at this.
    Something else: This looks like a break open revolver but, looking at your wireframe, you can't actually do that with this model.
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A lot of work on the materials done today, not quite final, specifically the copper on the grip and then the cylinder I may add some glowing parts.

• JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mbp125, didn't see your reply until just now, and yeah, I agree some of the edges are without a doubt too hard. I did want the grip to have the angular feel, I tried a few variations of it before landing on that one and liked it. Yeah, the waviness is definitely there, but looking at it and how it was only visible in a few certain spots in certain directions (the middle of the wires part was fine) I felt like that wouldn't be an issue with how it would be textured filling in some of the spots in between which hides some of it.

For I those actually aren't baking errors, it was me not setting the tangent space used in marmoset. Once I did that it fixed all of the "errors".  I used substance to bake everything since it has automatic explode baking by mesh name.

I have seen all of those links and they all came to mind when I was doing this. the one I do wish I would of done before continuing is the hard edges.

The break open part is correct, and you are correct as of right now the model actually can't accomplish that. It really just started as playing around with cutting holes into things project and I decided where the front part was going and decided to make something with it.

Appreciate the crits and will definitely have to actually fix things going foward instead of jumping into material work.
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Removing some dust and I will be replacing the old copper grip with wood. Right now not happy with where it is at but will continue tomorrow
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling it pretty much finished. What started out as just a test playing with hard surface has ended with my first model completed that is of my own design and something that I am rather happy with. I would still appreciate any crits that people have and will take those into my next project.

model
  • Blade113
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blade113 polycounter lvl 8
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blade113 said:
    cool!
    Thank you
  • GenesisAsis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GenesisAsis polycounter lvl 3
  • JonConley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome work!
    Thanks, I had a good time working on all of it.