Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mi-24D Hind (WIP) Progress Diary

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jaker3278 polycounter lvl 8
Hi, This is going to be a diary of my day to day development of the Mi-24 D Hind. Iam currently doing the base mesh in max, The mesh is sub divided with OpenSubdiv so the idea is to UV the mesh with edge loops and then Sub divide over the top to get a smooth finish. OpenSubdiv doesnt warp your UV's so its great. 

Any crits or feed back is more that welcome. thanks 

This is my progress on Day 3 

Replies

• Nerono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerono polycounter lvl 5
    there seems to be pinching at the front part, may you please share your wireframe?

• jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heres one of the area, tell me if you want any more.  I have rendered it with Vray and the area seems to render ok. Should i try and get rid of it totally? 

• jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iv just reworked some of the typology, looks better.  Thanks for the heads up. You some times dont spot these things.  In fact something doesnt look right about this part i am going to rework this part tomorrow and clean it up. 
  • Nerono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerono polycounter lvl 5
    While from some views it might look okay, from others it wont, (the black arrows in this img show the dented area, the surface seems like it was damaged) and that's due to a couple of factors:

1) the black arrows point at triangles, triangles can really mess the surface while subdividing, avoid them at all cost. 
    The read arrows mark two quads, one streched (the right) and one squashed (the left), a good thing to keep in mind while modeling is the spacing between edges, having faces like this might damage the surface apperance. 

also, you should try and have edges go through two objects like shown in the img, that way when you add support loops and smooth the objects, the spacing between objects will be even and not have weird gaps. 

I would suggest start from a simple cube and tweak the shape till it fit your needs, that way you will end up with a free from triangles, evenly spaced, smooth mesh.

My critic only talked about the front nose but it applies to every part of the helicopter. I think you should start from a big shape and than cut away from it the pieces to form the helicopter.
    A cool source of info would be this channel, check them out: https://www.youtube.com/user/GuerrillaCG
  • jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feed back, iv done some changes today to reflect what you were saying. 

Day 4 Progress

• Reworked the edges and panel lines
    • Gatling gun almost complete, another day on that.  
  • jaker3278
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As you can see the smoothing is a lot better. 

Smoothing example