Home Technical Talk

Maya UV grid or vert snapping going bananas!

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
[HP] polycounter lvl 13
Hey guys,

I've always used Max at home and Maya at work, I'm now trying to use maya at home as well so I just brought over all my scripts and hotkeys that I use at work, such as UV Nightshade.
Although, something really weird is happening. I tried a million different things and I can't figure out what might be causing this, so maybe any of you guys have come across this before?

With UV points selected, when I press either X or V inside UV editor, it seems it always sends the UV points I have selected to the 0 0 0 coords.

Erm... Help?

Replies

• Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Same problem here, must be some stupid setting buried in some menu somewhere :(
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check your Move Tool settings with the UV window active, that "Retain component spacing" is checked".
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah, that was the first thing I checked, still no dice. :[

Something tells me it's related to Maya's default snapping tools vs Modeling Toolkit ones (used to be called NEX tools) which I do use. When I get home today I'll try and isolate some of the files in Maya's prefs folder and see if I at least can pinpoint where the problem is.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh, i just re-read your problem and yeah... ill think on this.
  • [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    Alright, good news is I was able to fix the problem. Bad news is that I can't tell you exactly what was wrong in case someone in the future stumbles upon this.

I opened the ScriptEditor so I could listen to all outputs, and every time I either pressed X or V it would spew out the normal commands you'd expect plus the weird "compSpaceVar is now 0", I'm no MEL scripter so I have no idea what it means. Also, I noticed that on the "Last tool used" button, every time I'd press X it would jump back from the Multi-Component icon and the normal translate icon.

Anyway, what I did was I went back to my "prefs" folder and cleaned it back to defaults and I brought in only the bare minimum files I needed from my original config, I did it one by one leaving any old scripts out, and it worked.

If it helps, I believe it's some anomaly within the file "userNamedCommands.mel"

Thanks,
    HP