Home Technical Talk

The end of xNormal? (nope)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
TDub polycounter lvl 13
Update from jogshy 4/4/16:
jogshy said:
xn 3.20.0 is coming soon ( waiting for Max/Maya 2017 ).

I'm concentrating in xn4, some friends are taking care of the xn3's releases. We're migrating the infrastructure and that's why I was silent and some links/emails are broken. We'll fix that the next week! ;)

xn4 was delayed due to Vulkan, Metal, OpenCL-SPIR, etc... the drivers are a big LOL atm :)

Replies

• Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    TDub said:
    Santiago Orgaz / Jogshy have gone silent since Oct 2015 :(

Does anybody know anything?
    Yeah. Knald and Substance Painter came out, and blew xNormal's crazy slow baking and terrible interface out of the water.

If he can come up with something that presents a viable competitor to programs currently on the market, xNormal will be relevant again. Otherwise, I'd switch to something that works better and bakes faster.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I have used xnormal since back in my school days, and I have tried other ways but always returned to xnormal. Until recently I tried baking in substance painter, had no high expectations at all but wow, it's actually hard to get bad bakes, changed a lot for me.
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    I've used the substance baker for a few things, but haven't been impressed with the anti-aliasing on thin geometry intersections.  I'll have to test again and try to get the feedback over to them.  I don't mind using it full time as long as my ocd perfectionist needs are met!

I mostly wanted to start this thread to find out if they are done or not, and if so recognize their 10+ year effort.  Constant free support for multiple communities, raising the quality of game industry art, and improving pipelines significantly.  It's no small amount of work.
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    I haven't seen any problems with anti-aliasing, but my eyes might have been focusing on my bigger baking errors that got fixed.

Yeah in no way did I mean that what they have done up until now haven't been awsome, helped me and most of us I guess for years now and they deserve all the praise they can get. Was hoping they could use all their knowledge they gained from creating xnormal to create something new that they could actually get some money for, instead of all the new players eating up the money we are willing to spend on such an application.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Knald: 100 USD
    Subst: 150 USD
    xNormal: free

I´ll stick to xNormal
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    C86G said:
    Knald: 100 USD
    Subst: 150 USD
    xNormal: free

I´ll stick to xNormal
    Last I knew, Knald didn't bake normals. Did they change that?
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Dunno, people mentioned it here : P
  • Shiv
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiv polycounter lvl 15
    Yeah, it has a full baker now, with preview. Its really nice.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oooh, better than Substance?
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    Am I the only one here who bakes in their primary 3D software?
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I still use xnormal.  I tried out knald and its pretty fast but I'm not a fan of how it won't load all your low poly meshes if they are separate objs.  I have yet to try substance but have heard great things.  Can substance auto generate cages like xnormal?
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    slosh said:
    I still use xnormal.  I tried out knald and its pretty fast but I'm not a fan of how it won't load all your low poly meshes if they are separate objs.  I have yet to try substance but have heard great things.  Can substance auto generate cages like xnormal?
    Yes, Substance does a good job at avoiding projection issues even without a cage, I remember someone posting test results about it. I still use xNormal for some reason. 
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Clickbait title is clickbaity ! What about asking Jogshy directly ?

And even if the development of Xnormal was to stop altogether leaving us with the app in its current state, it would remain a rock solid, very fast, free, and extremely stable solution. Who cares about the release date as long as it works. Also the fact that Marmoset can be 100% synced with it is pretty damn important.

What is substance synced with ? Do we even know ?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    this made me curious, i dusted off the painter install to give it a try as a baker. had it since they sold it for 50 or thereabouts but am basically a total noob. bear with me (not in the revenant-way).

- it does not seem to write the baked maps to disk directly? you have to wait for all the bakes to finish then export manually?
    - i have no proper progress update or estimate of time remaining. when done with a map type it just jumps to the next percentage. so 0 % for the entirety of the normal map bake, then 20 % for AO, etc. console/log also gives no clues.
    - trouble aborting the bake when i got impatient. it just kept on trucking. had to kill it with fire
    - CPU load is never going over 90 % here, averaging more like 80 % (i7 4 cores / 4 ghz, win7, painter 1.7)
    - is normal map tangent space locked to mikkt-only? i don't see options to flip around channels just choose between DX and OGL and xnormal allows custom tangent space plugins
    - baking resolution maxes out at 4k. xnormal does 32k. not a feature i use every day but just sayin'
    - any way to bake zbrush's polypaint stored in the high poly in painter?
    - how do you visualize the baking scene? xnormal has a viewer where you can check the models used in the process and spot common issues

well. i must be missing something. :)

as for xnormal i just wish they came out with a nice standard interface you can rescale and stuff. their current one looks like kai's power tool's bastard child, sorry to say. indispensable application though. added ability to feed it bake configuration settings would make it even more so and pipeline friendly.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    lefix said:
    I do.

I love Mental Ray AO.

Object Space bakes with Handplane.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    - any way to bake zbrush's polypaint stored in the high poly in painter?

I bake an id map with vertex color selected.  The match by mesh name is fantastic, basically means the end of exploding meshes.  Xnormal being free is great but I've pretty much replaced it with Painter, I also have a designer license but I haven't messed with it much, I think that can automate a lot of baking better than painter, I know there's some batch tools for it.
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    pior said:
    I didn't intend for it to be so clickbaity.. The web is rubbing off on me :S  I've attempted to contact them, through their public emails, but no responses yet. (One email is down)

They had said last year, that they were working on xN 4.0, and they sounded very excited about it all.  
  • RobeOmega
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobeOmega polycounter lvl 10
    TDub said:
    pior said:
    I didn't intend for it to be so clickbaity.. The web is rubbing off on me :S  I've attempted to contact them, through their public emails, but no responses yet. (One email is down)

They had said last year, that they were working on xN 4.0, and they sounded very excited about it all.  
    http://eat3d.com/forum/questions-and-feedback/xnormal-4-eta

Stretches back at least three years it seems.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Justin Meisse said:The match by mesh name is fantastic, basically means the end of exploding meshes.
    Got a short explanation for me? Haven´t really used Painter yet.
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    jogshy said:
    >>Is Xnormal 4 still in development?
    Of course! We just delayed it to early 2016 to be sure all works properly and to wait for more stable drivers ( we're using some exciting new tech APIs and the whole think is not very mature yet hehe ). We'll release a public open beta for Linux, OSX and Windows.
    Post from Nov 2015. http://polycount.com/discussion/41776/xnormal-master-thread/p9
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    Having a Substance Baker master thread would probably be beneficial for giving Allegorithmic feedback.
  • mats effect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have kind of moved away from it recently in favour of sub painter and knald but still used it a bit and have done for years. Its still an awesome baking solution I just really like the bake my mesh name stuff in painter :)
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    pior said:

You can do different biases in Designer, but IIRC Painter is Mikktspace only.  Flag for per vertex or per fragment needs to be selected.  PC page from when they were made aware of the last details:  http://polycount.com/discussion/149783/substance-painter-1-3-mikkt-tangent-basis  and the UE4 page for baking with Painter now-a-days:  https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Baking_Models_with_Substance_Painter_Workflow
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    xnormal until i retire.

besides all the features it has, most if not all of my recent works required 4k textures so i bake 8k maps and downscale them to get the cleanest result possible.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G said:
    Justin Meisse said:The match by mesh name is fantastic, basically means the end of exploding meshes.
    Got a short explanation for me? Haven´t really used Painter yet.
    Sure, I export all of my subtools with _high appended to the name (just make sure you uncheck "grp" in the zbrush export for each subtool)

Next I name all my lowpoly the same with _low and export them all as a single fbx.

In Painter under the common settings in bake you select "by mesh name" under match.

And there you have it, no exploding and no cage, you can import a cage if you want but I haven't really needed it.  It also helps enforce good naming conventions on your work.  It got a little crazy when I had to name 200 parts on a pretty complex robot but it gave me a one click bake option for all the maps it had: two 4k textures sets for the body and a 2k texture for the cockpit.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Wait, no cage?!
    Okay, gotta check that out : O

Thnak you, Justin :)
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G: I'm a character artist so your mileage may vary!  You can import a cage pretty easily as well.  If you have a rift you can see some of my stuff in Chronos *shameless plug*

MM: wouldn't 4x4 or 8x8 supersampling achieve the same results?
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I've baked in Maya, xNormal, 3ds Max, and Substance Designer. 

By far, Substance Designer is my favorite baking program. The match by name baking feature removes a lot of the headaches that come with exploding the model and makes iteration much quicker.

Not only do I not need to explode models and more, I also no longer need a cage. Let's say I need to change the low poly or UVs for some reason. All I need to do is edit the model, ensure my names still match up, re-export, refresh the map, and it's all perfectly rebaked. Furthermore, if I need to pass of my bakes to someone, I just need to send the Maya file and the Substance file and they can pretty much 1 click re-bake any of my maps if they need to.

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    lefix said:
    I baked a few times in max long ago, but I had real problems with the AO bake. You couldnt build a lowpoly mesh that didnt intersect the highpoly, I had to always blow the verts out with the projection cage or I just got sand. Modo does a great job of baking normals, and you can paint your normals directly on the model! Plus the live preview feature in Modo is very sexy. Xnormal means I can bake full res high meshes to low without having anything open except that dinky little interface that works just fine and has never failed me yet. Quixel is also amazing. Never looked at knald or painter and this thread has me curious.

Even so Xnormal is still a solid go to solution and does an top job, and still free!
  • tynew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    I hate exploding meshes and having to retweak after a mesh/UV error! To those of you using substance painter/designer to bake by using that "match by mesh" I have a question. I understand that you are required to have the same naming conventions of

bag_high
    bag_low

What happens if you have more than 1-infinity number of high poly meshes that you would like to be baked to that single low poly mesh? For example buttons on the bag/floaters. Should the buttons just be renamed to bag01,bag02_high? If it can only be one high poly object per one low poly that makes it quite limited.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew said:
    I hate exploding meshes and having to retweak after a mesh/UV error! To those of you using substance painter/designer to bake by using that "match by mesh" I have a question. I understand that you are required to have the same naming conventions of

bag_high
    bag_low

What happens if you have more than 1-infinity number of high poly meshes that you would like to be baked to that single low poly mesh? For example buttons on the bag/floaters. Should the buttons just be renamed to bag01,bag02_high? If it can only be one high poly object per one low poly that makes it quite limited.
    Couldn't you just merge those subtools?
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    tynew said:

bag_high
    bag_low

https://support.allegorithmic.com/documentation/display/SPDOC/Matching+by+name

From their documentation, your buttons would be "bag_high_button01, bag_high_button02...." and that would all get baked to bag_low.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I've used Xnormal since 2010-2011 but recently switched to Knald,
    Probably will never go back.
    I loved Xnormal but would sometimes just have ''gremlins'' bugs that made no sens and had no idea why they would happen and no idea how to fix them.
    No problem since I switched to knald
  • Vincent3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent3d polycounter lvl 2
    tynew said:

bag_high
    bag_low

I personally just call them all ''bag_high'' so with all the same name,it's working fine for me!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    tynew said:

Put those high pollies in a group. Use renamer tools and it should auto rename to bag_high_01 - bag_high_99. I've had up to 250 high poly pieces for 20 low poly pieces and it worked perfectly. 
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Jogshy's wonderful development blog was recently deleted too. I'm worried and/or bummed, because I love xnormal's versatility, and was really looking forward to xn4.
    Hope he's just busy working, and forgetting to post online.
    It's been a while though...
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    >>Jogshy have gone silent since Nov 2015

I'm concentrating in xn4, some friends are taking care of the xn3's releases. We're migrating the infrastructure and that's why I was silent and some links/emails are broken. We'll fix that the next week! ;)

xn4 was delayed due to Vulkan, Metal, OpenCL-SPIR, etc... the drivers are a big LOL atm :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yay! Glad to hear it's still in action. It's a great tool, much appreciated.
  • TDub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TDub polycounter lvl 13
    jogshy said:
    >>Jogshy have gone silent since Nov 2015

He's alive!! Thanks for the update.  This was my last ditch effort to make contact :)

Updating first post with this info.
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    tynew said:

bag_high
    bag_low

Anything after the suffix you set up gets ignored, so you can do just what you are after.
    So if we take your bag as an example. The highpoly might be bag_high , bag_high_buttons, bag_high_stitching, bag_high_zipper, bag_high_whatever.. and the low poly would be bag_low
  • Indik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indik polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, that "match by name" is awesome, as is the S Painter itself! Been using it`s baker for some time, but never knew about it. Thanks for sharing!
    Hope Xnormal 4 is coming somewhere this year. What a great time for 3d software, so many choices!
  • 0xffff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    0xffff polycounter lvl 3
    pior said:
    Errrr, anything you want to sync it with? Just the same as marmoset? Just import your own tangents and binormals, as is explicitly supported in so many softwares now. For how much this whole "sync'd normal map pipeline" hubbub has completely died down over the last few years, it seems like remarkably few artists have a good grasp on it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It died down because it's pretty easy to have a synced workflow now. PBR and reflections show sync errors worse than before so it's still very important. 
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I wouldn't brush it off as that trivial considering that even until recently, Substance products were shipping with an example scene full of shading errors :) That said, yes, things are becoming easier ... and I think this is greatly thanks to collaboration between Jogshy and the Marmoset guys. This alone makes me excited for the next version !

• CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    I'd like to say that even if the current version of Xnormal is slowly being eclipsed by newer software, it's been an amazing and generous undertaking by Jogshy and anyone else who has worked on it. I've wanted to donate to them for a while, but there's no obvious way to do it as far as I can see. Jogshy, if you read this, please feel free to stick a massive, gaudy "donate" button on the xnormal site :D
  • artquest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artquest polycounter lvl 13
    pior said:
    I wouldn't brush it off as that trivial considering that even until recently, Substance products were shipping with an example scene full of shading errors :) That said, yes, things are becoming easier ... and I think this is greatly thanks to collaboration between Jogshy and the Marmoset guys. This alone makes me excited for the next version !

I've honestly never seen a company progress more quickly then allegorothmic. During beta and just after launch SP was almost unusable. Now I find it replacing Mari for any non hero props/Vehicles I make. As soon as they add UDIM support I'll try it out on a hero asset. I'll say that I do all my bakes inside substance painter because it's the fastest workflow I've ever seen. I can bake everything with full control over almost every option with lightning speed and if I need to change my model it will remember all my settings so it's very quick to swap between projects where in xnormal it's more of a pain. You have a ton of control over the tangent space. Perhaps even a little too much because it can be confusing if you do t understand the subject. But you can very easily sync to unreal 4. And honestly I think mikkt space is slowly becoming the industry standard. 
  • MeshMagnet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshMagnet polycounter lvl 9
    lefix said:
    I do.

I love Mental Ray AO.

Object Space bakes with Handplane.

What's the advantage of an Object Space Normal and then converting with Handplane?

• Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Apart from the obvious (sync to any engine handplane supports) you can also avoid the ray-cast errors without using a cage, if you bake the OS map with the lowpoly set to averaged normals, as OS ignores the lowpoly smoothing in terms of shading, but will still cast the rays from those normals. Though a cage will always offer more control.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can manually edit your "bake" mesh to add extra geometry to fix skewing and such if you're doing an object space bake, which does give more control vs a standard cage workflow.

Most (all?) bakers can use an averaged projection mesh/cage so that's not really a major benefit to passing OS through handplane.

• erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    I'm interested in checking out the update since I've been using xnormal forever. I did recently utilize Substance Painter for some quick bakes and was pretty impressed so I may stick with it in the future, especially after reading other peoples comments about it's awesomeness/ease of use.