Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Outhouse - Painted Textuters

MaboZuka
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
MaboZuka polycounter lvl 6
I designet the outhouse with the intent of making it look as if an amateur had built it on a budget, with limited resources of materials. A hunter living alone, somewhere in a Scandinavian forrest. A minimalist, and practical of mind.
The goal of this project, is to practice my skills with textures painted from scratch in Photoshop, with no images used to create them. The images you see below are obviously WIP, and at the moment I am working on the vegetation surrounding the outhouse. When I have finished that, I will do a second pass on the red painted wood, that covers the walls of the outhouse. When that is done, I will move on to lightmaps. The entire thing is 5469 tris, at the moment.

I have used 3 diffuse maps for the textures.
One for the base of the outhouse. (2k)

One for the props. (1k)

And finally, one for the vegetation. (2k)

I will continue updating this threat, to the best of my ability, with any relevant content regarding the progression of my project. 

I will greatly appreciate any constructive critique, tips and feedback regarding this. And please don't hesitate to ask, if you have any questions.

Replies

• purplekami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    purplekami polycounter lvl 2
    What a neat project! I know you're going to do another pass on the painted wood, but right now it's very constant throughout the house, I think it might give more personality if it's more spread out. Spreading out the chips of damaged paint will also allow you to create points of interest to guide the eye over to other small details.
    I'm excited to see how it looks with lighting!
  • MaboZuka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your response Purpelkami!
    And you make a good point. I think I will also try to make the aging of the paint and wood look more natural, such as having more damage done around the handle of the door, and close the bottom base of the outhouse. It is a big "canvas" to work on, so I absolutely agree with your points. Thanks for taking your time to comment :)
  • MaboZuka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vegetation!
    Yep, took long enough but now I am back on track (I promise...) So here is the vegetation that I created. The scene is now at 7.225 tris.

This is my first time creating vegetation in this style, so I am looking forward to hear your critique on it. The second pass on the painted wood will have to wait, for now. My next step will be to import the entire piece into the Unreal Engine. I have not used that engine before, so I am excited to try it out :)

• MaboZuka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allright! I have not declared this work DONE! And now I will move on to my next task. You will be able to see the final thing (and more) at my brand new website right HERE!

Thank you for your attention ;)
  • MaboZuka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allright! I have not declared this work DONE! And now I will move on to my next task. You will be able to see the final thing (and more) at my brand new website right HERE!

Thank you for your attention ;)