Home Technical Talk

3D Studio Max Mirrored UV Issue

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Three65 polycounter lvl 6
I have some Mirrored UV's in 3DS Max that I am trying to flip however when I select them in the Unwrap modifier it selects both of them and in the viewports it shows a mirror modifer similar to the Symmetry gizmo. Is there a way to break the mirrored UVs apart so I can flip the correct ones? I have tried the "Break" tool but its not working. Can someone please advise me on what I am missing here?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the Edit window, have you tried Select Inverted Polygons in the Select menu? This should select only the mirrored UVs, but it could also select badly-mapped UVs too. Then you can Break them.
  • Three65
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Eric, I did try selecting only the inverted ones however it selects both sides and in the viewports it shows them highlighted in red with a "Symmetry" plane between them. I am not sure if its cause I mirrored them then opened the obj up in Headus then opened it back up in 3DS Max. What I ended up doing was redoing the whole thing and flipping them before I exported it to Headus and it seemed to fix it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The "Symmetry" plane you saw is merely the preview for the Quick Planar Map gizmo. By default it faces the average of the selected surface normals.

Selecting both sides is weird though. Could be both were inverted.
  • Three65
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it was strange too, I think it may have something to do with importing it into headus and making changes to the uvs before I tried to flip them. Cause when I redone it I was able to flip them then import into headus and make the changes I need to make.