Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

need critique on my dirty black and withe tile substance

ninetitle
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ninetitle polycounter lvl 8
Like I said in the title I'm looking for critique and advice on my substance, will post images and parameters exposed.

a look from the distance

zoomed in

up close it doesn't look fantastic :(

on a cylinder, because

without dirt

For now the only thing exposed is the switch for the dirt.
I have already some ideas on how to improve it but I would really like other opinions.

Replies

• Mitchellangelo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mitchellangelo polycounter lvl 7
    I would say maybe you should add a little more variation for those chips on the floor.  It looks like they all just happen to be round chips that are pretty much about the same size.  Maybe there can be chips and scratches in the shape of lines every now and then.  Spots, straight lines, scraggly lines, all different kinds of chips in the floor.  Are you using Substance Painter?
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    If you compare it to a realistic tiled floor there's a few things that come to my mind..
    First of all your bevels are huge compared to real tiles. I can only imagine very small tiles (like ones you might use for mosaic) having those proportions.
    I'd also make the "grout" line thinner.. is it even called grout with tiles? I guess not.

I'd also play around with roughness and get some variation in there. If you are using a specific reference, then it doesn't hurt to post it.
  • ninetitle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ninetitle polycounter lvl 8
    @Mitchellangelo
    I'm using substance designer
    @Cay
    I noticed the "grout" when I was posting but I was in a hurry.
    Thanks for the tip on the bevels, it's the other thing I noticed, as for the reference I was working without one, only exploring some tecniques I found on a youtube video.
    I think I'll have to find a good one with black and white  tiles.