Home Technical Talk

[3Ds Max] Mirror tool braking mesh?

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
C86G greentooth
Hi guys.

I have this problem for like... ever? Been using Max since Max 2009 and the mirror tool (the one from the top bar) never worked correctly. Sure, there are workarounds for mirroring objects like the symmetry modifier for example, but I still wonder what is wrong with the mirror tool.

After using it the mesh gets really messed up, though it smoothes nicely.

Any ideas on this?

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The mirror tool does a negative scale on your mesh, and flips the face normals. It's a bad way to work, because it creates an ugly transform, which causes other problems. You can solve a bad transform by using the utility Reset Xform and collapsing your modifier stack.

The better way to mirror is to use the Mirror modifier, which does not use a negative scale.

Also make sure to use Editable Poly as your base modifier. Are you using Editable Mesh?
  • snoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snoop polycounter lvl 7
    Wait, what exactly are you wanting to use the mirror tool for? Are you using it to mirror half of a model to make a full model, or to make a second, mirrored, model across some center point?  Symmetry is really the correct tool for the former, and mirror is best for the latter. Your mesh doesn't look like you used it for symmetry purposes, but I can't really tell what you are using the mirror tool for in the first place.  Since you didn't really say which you were using it for, I can't say what the issue is... and I don't know if you should really have it anyway, even if you do use the mirror tool for something that the symmetry modifier is better suited for. However, since you are having it, if you are using the mirror tool for something the symmetry modifier should be used for, why bother with the mirror tool at all? 

Sorry I'm not any real help, I just don't feel like you gave enough info to properly address the info. 
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    The screenshot shows the mirrored object only, not the original unmirrored mesh.
    I do know the difference between mirror and symmetry ; ) and I use or TRY to use the mirror tool once a year or so. ANd yep, editable oly, nothing fancy.

If i need a mirrored object I usually use some symmetry modifiers on the object to have a mirrored one and that works. I am just curious what´s wrong with my mirror tools.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Use the Mirror modifier, not the mirror button.
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    Thanks Eric, the modifier works without errors.

But just for you to see it, here´s what the mirror button does:

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, don't use it, it is an old legacy tool which should only be used for non-mesh objects, if ever.

But just out of curiosity, what does your modifier stack look like?
  • C86G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    C86G greentooth
    The mesh from the gif is an editable poly only.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Yeah, don't use it, it is an old legacy tool which should only be used for non-mesh objects, if ever.

The mirror tool has been updated in 2016. It now has a geometry option that doesn't invert normals or require an xform reset.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey that's awesome. Work has us a release behind, usually a good idea actually. But neat to know.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Hey that's awesome. Work has us a release behind, usually a good idea actually. But neat to know.

That's alright, Adesk are usually several releases behind when it comes to these small updates. :smile: 

Although I always have, and still use the symmetry mod exclusively.