Home Featured Artwork

Unreal Tournament DM-Chill Art Dump

kernersvillan
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
kernersvillan polycounter lvl 9
Howdy folks!  Here are some screenshots of our new Unreal Tournament level coming out in the next week or so , DM-Chill, as well as some art I did for it.  These are not screenshots of the shipping level, but my personal lighting/post pass. ;)

Level Credits:

Map Design and Blockout: Stu Fitzsimmons
Meshing and Lighting: Rick Kohler
Additional lighting: Chris Perna

I was responsible for all models/materials/textures except:

Statues,deco heads, circular stained glass material,background rocks, and rune/puddle decals made by Rick Kohler
Ornate circular ground decal, large stained glass textures, shield, wooden door textures done by Eric Terry
Wooden door modeled by Scott Homer 
Banner graphic designs done by Adam Wood

There are a few more screens on my artstation. Thanks for looking!

Replies

• kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are the sculpts/textures/meshes I made for the map.  Shields were textured by Eric Terry and the banner graphic designs done by Adam Wood.

• nickcomeau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau polycounter lvl 4
    Very beautiful environment and textures. Great work! The lighting is very well done. :)
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    Hey man, i saw this on artstation and it looks soooo nice, the arch piece uses an atlas texture or tileable texture ?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Really fantastic stuff, looking forward to playing the map! If I may ask, how long did it take to make?
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    This is awesome!!! Is there going to be a making-of video like there was with that other UT4 map? 
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    Hoooo yeah! This looks great! Are you doing anything fancy in the materials besides vertex painting? Are you making use of the pre-computed AO mask?
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nickcomeau: thanks man!

s1dk:  Thanks!  the arch is 2 different textures.  The bricks are on 1 texture because I made them strait so we can get some reuse out of them as trim pieces and such.  The pillar base/center keystone is on another texture

bounchfx:  Thanks man!  Well, from an art side there are only 2 enviro guys, myself and Rick Kohler. I was the primary asset/texture/material maker, and I started working on it late October and finished up stuff in late January. The map is just now getting testing complete (for an openly developed game) so about 4+ months total from bsp blank shell to ship.  Give or take  ;)

kaine123: Thanks man!  As of right now there is no video like that planned.  Of course that could change ;)  We have our biweekly live stream so something could possibly come from that.

lucas annunziata:  Thanks!  Besides vert painting, the only other special shader functionality Im using is Parallax Occlusion Mapping for the roof tiles.  I experimented with AO Masking stuff to put snow everywhere but didnt like the results, and didnt really have the time to dial it in.  I want to experiment with that for our next map though!
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    One thing that looks weird to me, and others could pitch in on this, is that the transitions of snow piles that connect from the walls to floors look a little weird to me (particularly on the second to last image of your first post). They have a really bad sharpness to the intersections. One thing you could do there is explore the use of depth fade to soften the transition. I think Gears of War Judgment used that technique a lot if I remember right.  

An extension of that is that sometimes it looks like there is snow on the walls but not on the floors. It's a strange disconnect that's very apparent in the second to last image of your first post. 

Beyond those little details your work is spectacular.
  • _Kratos_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Kratos_ polycounter lvl 11
    Very nice work guys! Everything comes together very well!
    Nice sculpts and textures Josh ;) My only critics are in textures like the herring stones, wish the texture in the albedo was following a lil bit more the normal details... like weathered parts, dust or moss... 

I have to check the level in the game :) Thanks for sharing!
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep, I agree that one in particular looks bad.  We are using Pixel Depth Offset, which uses a DitherTemporalAA solution combined with a mask to blend 2 surfaces much better than DepthFade did.  It doesnt show there, but it looks pretty nice with things.  When this map ships you can take a look at the assets ;)  The good thing about this project is that it is live all the time, so we can always change things or improve on assets/maps.  Thanks for the feedback!
  • abcdethan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    abcdethan polycounter lvl 4
    Were the large rock formations sculpted in the background?  How were those made?  I'm assuming that is outside of gameplay.
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _kratos_:   thanks man!  good catch.  Some things were made in a rush and didnt get the love they deserve ;)  Would love to revisit those hehe

abcdethan: Those are retextured versions of the rocks that Rick made for TitanPass, just cobbled together to make interesting shapes ;)
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Is there any way to see that material with the pixel depth offset using the DitherTemporal AA for myself? I haven't been really following the development of Unreal Tournament so I'm not really sure what's available to look at and what's not.
  • hmm_rock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm_rock polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome work! Love those banners. Quick question about this sculpt https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bps4LZMCUAErykL.jpg

Could you explain your process for the zigzag part? Are you using a wrapping mode to tile the detail across the top and bottom? Did you start with a standard mesh in zbrush? I ask because tiling across a plane works fine, but tiling across imported meshes in zbrush always gives me problems.

• Shuaws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shuaws polycounter lvl 5
    Really good job on the environment, i was wondering in your sculpts do you use any alphas? Or is all the detail on the stones done by hand with different brushes?

• kunalht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kunalht polycounter lvl 2
    great environment !!
  • 3DKyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKyle interpolator
    Love the sculpts and materials. Great job!
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    Quick question for the textures, are you still using Photoshop or have you transitioned onto substance designer?
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    one more question if you don't mind - what process are you using to create the tiled brick textures and the like? it's clearly not 'wrap mode' or whatnot, do you have any advice on making those? I have a lot of experience with zbrush but have never learned how to do those, all I really know is the tilde button but even then it's tough extracting a clean/seamless texture. thanks in advance if anyone has advice on this!
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M:   Sure thing.  Here is a screenshot showing the mesh intersecting through the ground, but with a very natural soft blend.

HMM_Rock:  That image link doesnt link to one of my posts, but I assume youre talking about the brick floor with the zigzag patterns in the middle?  I modeled them in Max first, and just sculpted on Zbrush... nothing special ;)  Have you tried using Symmetry on your meshes while sculpting to keep the tiling edges consistent?

SHUAWS:  Thanks man!  Yeah I use alphas.  In particular, I use TrimSmoothBorder brush with hard edges alphas for most of my bricks/stones.  For detail stuff, I use the Standard brush with a drag alpha for detail, then go over top of it lightly with a TrimDynamic with square alpha.

KUNALHT:  Thanks!  :)

3DKYLE: Thanks dude!

SZIADA: I use Zbrush to render out a bunch of different color gradient maps to Photoshop via ZAPPLINK to get a good base, then may finish with some faint photo overlays if needed.  No Substance Designer yet.  I've dabbled in it, and very much like it, just havent taken the time to fully learn it yet.

BOUNCHFX:   Yeah I never use the tilde method because it doesnt give you control over individual subtools  (unless there is something Im missing).  I just find a photo pattern I want to emulate, tile it, and make a base pass is 3dsMax....just to get my layout right.  Then Ill bring in Zbrush and do my thing.  This process takes a little longer, but once I have that done I can make a few variants in Zbrush based off my original as I need. Rotating, scaling and whatnot.  Any brick/stone that tiles, Ill duplicate the subtool and move it over 200 units and Zbrush to tile.  Wrapmode is good for any sort of grout that I use in my texture.  Anthony Vitale did some great Zbrush tiling videos on his youtube page.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC7LESzFHAk

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    So rad :) Need to check this ingame ASAP!
  • kernersvillan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CPTSWING: Thanks!

MINOS: Thanks dude!  btw bought your tutorial last night.  Looking forward to checking it out :)
  • Jack M.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jack M. interpolator
    Those results are very nice :smile: 
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome! I love how despite all those shiny new graphics you guys can keep the clean map layouts of arena shooters :)
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    Sooooo gooood! Must check in game  :D
  • AnyaElvidge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnyaElvidge interpolator
    Oh... wow. I am so in awe.
  • Ffdspline
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ffdspline polycounter lvl 4
    Awesome job! Love it! Could you tell pls how much bsp brushes in this level? How much static meshes and tris quantity of heaviest static mesh? If posible ofcourse :)