Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Post, Looking for Critiques on my latest Concept Piece.

zydh
null
Offline / Send Message
zydh null
I'm new here so first of all: Hi Polycount! I'm John! :)

This is my latest piece after incoporating 3D in my workflow. I made a bunch of mistakes but I learned a lot in the process, would love to get some  critique on this so I can keep improving! I know the lighting and values could have been a lot better. :/

Thanks, have a great day!

Replies

• EthanBurnsides
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EthanBurnsides polycounter lvl 2
    I think you have done well getting the 3D to 2D workflow. In general though, I think a greater range of contrast would give this some more bite
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I actually thought your 3D blockout had a better composition - with the (or at least, with what could be perceived as) sky being visible over on the left.  Added some nice contrast and potential for depth. 

But I mean, as a concept it gets the point across just fine.
  • miguelnarayan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    miguelnarayan polycounter lvl 8
    Hey John! Great storytelling. The left side is bugging me a little, I feel it could have a little more variation on color, even a slight low opacity brush with a different color than the one on the rocks, could add some good effect, and suggest moss, sunburns, worn, I feel the pink there is repeated too much and also has a little too much detail. I see you grasp this concept, and your skull is definitly the focal point and has a lot more detail than the rest, however I'd say don't be afraid to abuse of it, John Singer Sargent does it well on his painting studies. http://www.wikiart.org/en/john-singer-sargent/a-bedouin-arab?utm_source=returned&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=referral

• zydh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zydh null
    I actually thought your 3D blockout had a better composition - with the (or at least, with what could be perceived as) sky being visible over on the left.  Added some nice contrast and potential for depth. 

But I mean, as a concept it gets the point across just fine.
    Even though it's ages since this post, thanks for the reply! I completely forgot to check back here.
    I was going to stick to that comp, but after getting some WIP critiques from people I decided to change it based on that. I definitely struggled with that part of the image, but I learned a ton from it. Thanks again for the reply!

I think you have done well getting the 3D to 2D workflow. In general though, I think a greater range of contrast would give this some more bite
    Sorry for the late reply. Noted, yeah some parts (especially the left side) feel way too flat. Thanks for the reply!

Hey John! Great storytelling. The left side is bugging me a little, I feel it could have a little more variation on color, even a slight low opacity brush with a different color than the one on the rocks, could add some good effect, and suggest moss, sunburns, worn, I feel the pink there is repeated too much and also has a little too much detail. I see you grasp this concept, and your skull is definitly the focal point and has a lot more detail than the rest, however I'd say don't be afraid to abuse of it, John Singer Sargent does it well on his painting studies. http://www.wikiart.org/en/john-singer-sargent/a-bedouin-arab?utm_source=returned&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=referral

Hey Miguel, thanks for the reply! And sorry for the late reply to you too. The left side is a disaster, I know, haha. I struggled really hard with that and definitely got stuck on it, I was thinking about starting over but I liked the rest of the image so in the end I just decided I had to let it go and call it finished. I learn a lot from messing up like that though! "A little to much detail" That's putting it lightly haha. The detail control is really bad, I think a lot more about detail control now and not oversaturating with repeated textures etc. as well as creating more interesting break-ups. Thanks again for the reply!