Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

VW Surf Bus

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
This is a fun project I started today! I'm going to be making a 60's VW surf bus! I plan on having a lot of fun and loading a ton of character and personality into the bus! Here's what I have of the highpoly so far, I'm currently still adding the small details into the bus like the vents and door lines.

Replies

• Nerono
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nerono polycounter lvl 5
    I think I see some dents and smoothing problems in general caused by uneven topology, mind taking a picture of the wireframe so I could give a better feedback?
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure that would be much appreciated if you could give me some pointers on fixing the topo. I've fixed quite a bit but there's some areas where it seems like no matter where I move the verts it wont shade right. Here's the low wireframe!
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got the low poly down to 3k polys and have now moved on to the texturing. Lots of work to do still! Then i'll be moving on to the surfboards and coke cooler! Critiques are always appreciated! 
  • Doxturtle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doxturtle polycounter lvl 8
    you worked quickly on that :D it looks really good so far. 

one thing that looks weird to me is that there is a lot of rust above the bumper area but there is not much wear on the actual bumper. The caps on the wheels look a little too shiny and clean in my opinion, it makes them stand out quite a lot. 
  • unicorncat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unicorncat polycounter lvl 2
    It's looking really nice ! 
    I would just add a little bit of geometry on the body right above the wheel so the edges of the mesh at this location are not too visible... more smoother. Instead of that that's looking nice.
    Can't wait to see the final result. :)

• Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started working on one of the boards today and also got some cool stickers on the bus! Here's a shot of the texturing for the board thats still wip. Really trying to capture the wax that surfboards have.
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started to put everything into marmoset so I could try to figure out how i'm going to present this. Still got a few props to model out and texture and got to figure out how i'm going to have the sand for everything to sit on. Also need to go back and definitely add more geo to the board. C&C please!
  • Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an update on the presentation. Going to be doing a modular bench seat to throw in there a few times next then i'll probably be calling this one done.
  • FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Haha! That's just plain cool, not sure I really have a criticism other than the sand contrast looks too harsh.
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Hey! I've always loved this Volkswagen model. Just a couple of things which I think you could improve on:

- The van and surfboard are quite low poly. There are a lot of places where adding extra geometry would help with how the silhouette reads, smoothing etc. This is important when doing lowpoly work for curved areas of the mesh like the wheel area, the ceiling and the surfboard.
    - I think it would be great if you modelled the interior of the vehicle. There is so much see-through glass and it looks, well, unfinished as it is now. Putting that extra time to depict the inside will make this model even more interesting. You can even play with storytelling; what sort of objects do these people carry? Are they on a long multimonth trip or just nipping out to catch some waves? All the little details will help with the overall impression of the model.
    - I would spend a bit more time on the texturing side of things, look at vehicle reference and where the wear and tear happens. If you mirror textures avoid placing iconic details in places where they will be seen.
    - The diorama itself is, in my opinion, a bit too large as its scale is making the vehicle look small in comparison.

It's a great piece and the advice above is to take it to further improve it! :)