Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Library discovery diorama

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Crowdsmurf polycounter lvl 10
Hey everyone,

I'm working on a small environment inspired by these concepts by Abel Oroz and James Castillo (I don't know who the dog concept is from unfortunately).

It started out as an unlit handpainted project, but I ended up putting it in marmoset to practice lighting. Since both characters are fully rigged, the dream is now to put in Unreal 4, but that transition isn't going as smoothly as planned as UE4 is a bit too much for my current pc. So for now, I'll have to settle with marmoset 2.

Some sculpts and unlit maya screengrabs:

there's still a million things I wanna clean up on the textures, but I decided to start putting things in marmoset first, so here's what I got so far:

There's still quite a bit to do, but it's getting close to what I wanted to achieve. If you guys have any feedback , I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Replies

• ngw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ngw polycounter lvl 5
    That bookcase looks great. 
    You've got a lot of light painted/baked into the character textures that is fighting the scene lighting. Particularly the shadowing you've got above the boys eyes is ruining the effect of the glowing book. 
  • Crowdsmurf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey NGW, thanks for the reply and feedback. I was on the fence with the glowlight since i felt it wasn t working well but i couldn t figure out why. Taking out topview based baked lighting is probably a good start :).
  • Crowdsmurf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    made some updates in the textures and the lighting setup. Not sure if I should put the book in the front. I like the composition of it in the foreground, but I'm afraid it takes the attention away from the characters.

• Afklamer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Afklamer polycounter lvl 7
    Hey,
    realy like this piece. I did a real quick overpaint  for how I'd handle the compo 

Currently  the environment is to contratsy it draws alot of attention away from the  characters. Check out games how the value ranges in environments are fairly limited. Usually  Game releveant effects and ui are reserved for highest contrats levels. 
    therfore I would tone down the env in contrats and noise.

The characters themselves tell a story so i would do more to dramatize that. Get them close together  let the dog  look at  the book to give it more weight and let the boy react stronger to the glow. 

right now all elements are evenly distributed. Usually when you check movies and stuff, youll realize that  things cluster in varied sized groups  and rythms so the eye jumps from one spot to another. with hue values and shapes you can  sort out the prioritoes where to look at first. If done correctly your eye will wander constantly betwen points and  have moments of strong tension and low tention. 

Avoid black shadows in stylized work, use hueshifts as a possible support 

Little side thing the dogs toungue tangents the papers edge which makes it harder to read

Foreground stuff always works wonders. use it to frame or  direct to relevant information 

looking at my OP now I think I'd move the boy even further to the left  =D

Well my 2 cents maybe it helps ^^

• Crowdsmurf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Afklamer, 

Awesome paintover and the feedback; really good stuff. I really like the foreground and contrast ideas; gonna play around with those, Thanks!