Home Technical Talk

3DSMax - Wrinkle maps & composite material

polycount lvl 666
Offline / Send Message
PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
I'm trying to use the reaction manager along with a composite material to have realtime wrinkle maps in the viewport. Problem is, performance is REALLY bad, in fact, it seems to crash Reaction manager...Even without trying to use it with reaction manager, changing the opacity values for the composite layers (which are just basic bitmaps) is extremely slow.

Does anyone know a way to optimize/fix it, or maybe another way to use wrinkle maps in the Max viewport?

Replies

• musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Composite material is notoriously buggy. Can't you use a composite map instead?
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Well that was simple, problem solved. Thanks! :)
  • mihail.lupu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihail.lupu polycounter lvl 11
    I just found this thread. It is very interesting because i tried to use the same workflow a few years ago for a project, (with the composite map and reaction manager). With 2 layers works like a charm but after 6-7 layers loaded with textures the soft had crashed. First i had blamed the the reaction manager because i know it is buggy, but after that i realized that the composite map doesn't support this type of workflow. Any solution for this wrinkle maps workflow for 3ds max?
    Thanks!
  • coven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coven polycounter lvl 6
    If you want to just see it in Max, you might also want to look at the Tension Deformer found in the Data Channel Modifier. You can use the squash and stretch areas to drive maps with vertex channels, or you can drive morph targets.
  • mihail.lupu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mihail.lupu polycounter lvl 11
    coven said:
    If you want to just see it in Max, you might also want to look at the Tension Deformer found in the Data Channel Modifier. You can use the squash and stretch areas to drive maps with vertex channels, or you can drive morph targets.
    Thanks for your reply, coven. But i don't think this is a doable solution in case if i have (for example) a minimum of 50 morph targets each one with a proper wrinkle map assigned. Maybe there is another solution for this..