Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Critique

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Ubuska polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys, recently I made my environment artist portfolio
Can you give me some critique? Maybe I need remove/add something? Or there is good piece that I need to showcase first?
Right now I'm in process of making another environment and I plan to add a few more in my portfolio later.

Thanks.

Replies

• Ubuska
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ubuska polycounter lvl 8
  • Ubuska
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ubuska polycounter lvl 8
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    What strikes out to me the most is the banner with Email on it, it is wayyy to big. Look at this portfolios as an example. http://www.simonbarle.com

He is giving you his art first. No fancy banner or anything. His name at the top, and then his work, and his work only. So my tip would be to simplify your page. All his work is only one click away, and you do not even have to scroll for it. Regarding your work I think it looks solid. The only thing that is letting it down are your thumbnail images. Enlargen the Thumbnails, put them at the top of your page. And have your name there. Remove the email thing. Nice and clean, and move your work up so it can be seen as soon as the page loads.   

I hope this was helpful, but remember that this is only my opinion, and there is nothing wrong with what you have, just my two scents. Sorry if I sounded harsh. Good luck. 
  • n4uj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    n4uj polycounter lvl 5
    Maybe the banner is too big, that is true. I always add some info and some breakdown of my work, tbh it is nice to see how a cool artwork was made.
    About Simon Barle, I think he plays in a completelly different league, since his shipped titles explains that he knows perfectly how the game development proces work and say that he is a PRO. You can take bits of it, like what Nuclear Angel said about your name and the thumbnails.
    Your work is quite good man, congratulations! :smile: 
  • Nuclear Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    Yea what @n4uj  said. You should definitely write that you are aiming for an environment artist position. I would remove the banner completely both in the breakdown page of your pieces and also in the front page. There is also no way to get to your front page from any of your works pages. Your pieces in the breakdown pages are also too small, make them bigger, I want to see your art ^^. 

Try also to always have your name/tag, and or your websites URL in each of your pieces. This way  if someone downloads your stuff they still got your contact information if they want to hire you. I also think that your highpoly stuff should get their own thumbnail, as that button is not as appealing. 

Good luck with your folio! 
  • ZombieDawgs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombieDawgs polycounter
    Just a minor nitpick but you have 3 pieces of work then one beneath it, probably organise it so they're even like 2 - 2 rather than 3 - 1. Minor suggestion but everything else these guys have said I agree with, the banner is nice in concept - but it just gets in the way of us getting to your work.
  • Ubuska
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ubuska polycounter lvl 8
    Hi guys. Last couple of months I keep improving my portfolio. 
    I removed my old stuff and added new scene: http://www.thewarpgames.com/environments/artstation-challenge-1
    Also I've done some texturing and highpoly studies (I keep doing them), you can see them in Highpoly and Turnables pages.
    http://www.thewarpgames.com/petergubin

What do you guys think?
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    The environments are wayyyy better than your props. If you're responsible for all the content in them, I'd say you should put them first. The props are ok technically, but boring. This is looking solid, though! Consider using a low compression jpg instead of PNG for your bigger pics, though, it took a while to load some images on my end.
  • Ubuska
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ubuska polycounter lvl 8
    Thx for feedback, I moved my environments up.
  • Ubuska
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ubuska polycounter lvl 8
    What do you think are the weakest items in my portfolio?
  • Ubuska
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ubuska polycounter lvl 8
  • Dominic Sewell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dominic Sewell polycounter lvl 4
    Just some short feedback as im but a mere peasant myself ;) I really like the vibrant colours in the first environment and the anceint ruins is nice in the way things are broken down.

If i was going to criticise anything I'd say from a pure captivation standpoint the prop turntables are a little "everyday bland" maybe try and source out and create a few assets from more interesting concepts :)