Home Technical Talk

Painting very high resolution textures workflow?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
melviso polycounter lvl 10
Hi guys, I want to ask if anyone has an idea of how one can go about creating very high resolution mesh of like up 24k. I have a ground plane I want to paint every inch and square of it. I know it sounds ridiculous but I am trying to achieve hyper photorealism and its for experimentation as well.
At the moment, I use Viewport Canvas for painting my textures. If u were to go about this, I am guessing the best solution is to cut the ground plane into smaller pieces with each part about 2048 x2048 since Viewport Canvas seems to have issues if texture resolutions are higher and then assign them to different materials. But I am thinking if there is a way to manage this that it won't involve too many materials as that will increase render time.

I was thinking of using different uv channels assigned to differernt patches but it can get extremely confusing especially when u have a lot of maps making up one big ground plane and you can't display the textures of the other patches if u need to paint with reference to them.

Replies

• JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    Multi-tile UVs are exackalackaly what you need! Put a UV island on each tile (0-1 UV is considered one tile), make the size of each tile's texture be 2k or 4k, and paint them with a tool that supports it well.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/289550/

^ Good painting tools, layer system, and shaders, up to 6x 4k textures that you can easily paint across all at once, which might be enough resolution. Projection paint only, but gives you the tools you need to deal with the shortcomings of projection painting. $13 for a month.

http://www.autodesk.com/products/mudbox/overview 

^ Middling painting tools, with a pretty good projection workflow with 2d programs. Can paint as many tiles as your computer can handle. In Window->Preferences->Paint be sure to turn up Brush Sample Area which makes painting way, way better. Projection painting and painting straight on the model both work. $10 for a month.

https://www.thefoundry.co.uk/products/mari/

^ Same as Mari Indie but with fewer silly limitations. Way expensive for just a test piece, wouldn't recommend for now.

Most real-time renderers don't support multi-tile textures well, except maybe Unity with Amplify Texture 2 which I haven't tried yet. Vray, Mental Ray, Renderman, Arnold and probably some other offline renderers support multi-tile textures well.
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    musashidan high dynamic range
    Alongside the Udim workflow mentioned by @JedTheKrampus I would suggest using a combination of bitmaps and procedurals for the best results. Also, to push it even further in variation you could throw it into a multi-blend shader setup, and layer in tiling textures with custom and procedural masks in a composite map stack. I know you said you don't want to mess with complex shaders, but if you want to achieve high-res photorealism then using as much variation as you can could be the way to go.

And of course you will want to use detailed displacement/normal mapping and decent reflection/glossiness maps.

And lastly, don't forget: no matter how high-res your textures they are only as good as the maps they are derived from(think 4K image from google that looks shitty and blurred at 100%) I would highly recommend checking out surface mimic texture library.

P.S - stop using viewport canvas!! It is terrible, and hasn't been updated AT ALL since Max2012(when it was introduced).... :smiley: 
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    You're using Maya right? Not sure if this is useful for your, but I dabbled a bit with creating a mutli-tile texture solution with shaderfx. Let me know if you want the shader or anything similar.

http://polycount.com/discussion/162571/shaderfx-trying-to-use-texture-maps-with-a-for-loop-possible

To my knowledge I don't think you can get a ShaderFX to auto-update a texture in any easy manner. Might be possible to create a solution for this by script(scriptjobs?) though.

Edit:
    -------------------------------
    Oh Viewport Canvas is 3DSMax? Never mind then :no_mouth: 
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde said:
    You're using Maya right? Not sure if this is useful for your, but I dabbled a bit with creating a mutli-tile texture solution with shaderfx. Let me know if you want the shader or anything similar.

http://polycount.com/discussion/162571/shaderfx-trying-to-use-texture-maps-with-a-for-loop-possible
    I assume the OP is using Max as he mentioned Max's[crappy] 3D painting tool 'Viewport Canvas'

Kodde, your shaderFX setup looks interesting. I'm sure the .sfx file from Maya could be imported to Max?
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Musashidan> Yeah one would think so. I'll make it available shortly.
    By the way, I ran into issues with my GPU RAM being exceeded when trying for 4x4 8k textures. 4x4 4k textures worked fine. Maya could handle a 16k texture either way so in that sense it was kind of pointless. But if you're bound to a tile based workflow and want to use ShaderFX this shader could be useful.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    i loaded the marble earth asset in maya so it should be possible... the new maya file node is able to read uv tiles...
    its containing 1168 uvtiles each 2k... its baking all the texture to smaller resolution... maybe you could use this system to load it also in shader fx..?

note: im able to paint on this monster asset in mudbox...
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Oglu> This is a bit off-topic I guess since OP is using Max. But I don't think the texture baking for the viewport works with the ShaderFX system. If I'm not mistaking I got a solid orange color when I ran out of GPU RAM with ShaderFX.

EDIT:
    --------------------------------------
    Red, object turns red when you run out of GPU RAM. At least I suppose that's what's happening.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Here's the SFX if anyone wants to try. If anyone tries it in Max please let me know how it goes. I wanted to get a For loop working to avoid the manual repetitiveness but never got it working.

kostas.se/files/multi_tile_system.rar
  • musashidan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde said:
    Here's the SFX if anyone wants to try. If anyone tries it in Max please let me know how it goes. I wanted to get a For loop working to avoid the manual repetitiveness but never got it working.

kostas.se/files/multi_tile_system.rar
    Cheers @kodde I'll give it a try in Max if I get a spare moment.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
    For loop is interesting, pre-vis textures then export them to UDIM diffuse and apply to high res model.  I've never used ShaderFX although I watched some training on how to begin using; I assume you can bake out 4K maps ?
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    Being able to bake out textures with ShaderFX is possible but rather limited to my knowledge. I don't think you can even set resolution yourself. You just get 2k if I'm not mistaking. I'm happy that it exists at all though. I've used baking in conjunction with triplanar texture projection through ShaderFX.
  • kodde
  • melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P.S - stop using viewport canvas!! It is terrible, and hasn't been updated AT ALL since Max2012(when it was introduced).... :smiley: 
    Thanks for some tips guys, Viewport Canvas is actually awesome, U can check the work I have created with it. I find it very easy to use lol. Seriously.

That doesn't mean I won't try some of the things you have suggested. Btw, lets say I want only a particular group of uv shells in one uv channel. Is there a way I can delete the remaining uv shells so they are not on that channel and take up space?

• melviso
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just found this. This is just crazy detailed work.
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?189837-Portrait-of-JFK

This is what I am aiming for. Does anyone have an idea how he went about texturing this? I have a feeling he used ZBrush polypaint. Cause there is no way any app can support that high level of detail?? He didn't mention any other software apart from Maya and ZBrush. I am guessing he approached this with a traditional sculptor's concept? Every texture was painted on the model?? I wonder if he used mask for stuff like the skin pores, wrinkes when texturing? It would be nice if these zbrush guys share how they approach texturing their high res models.
    I checked out his blog to see if I could get any information but it is another language.

Another excellent work using just Zbrush only-
    http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showthread.php?197687&p=1162932&viewfull=1#post1162932
    Any Ideas?