Home Technical Talk

ShaderFX: Trying to use Texture Maps with a For Loop. Possible?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kodde polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys,

I was reading up on multi-texture-tile systems like UDIM and wanted to see if I could build support for this with ShaderFX.

I got a pretty good working solution but I wanted to make it dynamic in the sense that a user could choose a Base value and a Tiles value to basically set how many tiles should be used. To handle this within ShaderFX I figured it could be a nice case to use the For Loop to keep the shader network nice and more dynamic.

I found this guide covering how to use a For Loop, but I can't seem to apply it to my case. The Array node won't accept certain inputs such as a color output from a Texture Map node. I tried a few workarounds with Path Direction List but I can't get it to iterate through the list in the Path Direction List containing my textures.

Autodesks guide on the ShaderFX For Loop

Anyone used the For Loop? Is this possible or should I just give up on the idea? Thanks

Replies

• kodde
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't figure out a good dynamic shader network yet, but I hooked up a 4x4 multi-texture system manually T_T. Tried loading 16 random 4k textures that I found with google image search. Worked well in the Maya viewport. I based it on 4 being the base number. So they range from u1_v1 -> u4_v4.