Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Remington 870 Marine Magnum

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
BetaRazer polycounter lvl 6
Thought I'd post this. Been meaning to do a shotgun for a while.

With many Remington shotgun versions available, I chose the Marine Magnum as I haven't seen many CG interpretations of this done before. I've always enjoyed using shotguns in games, so I set about producing one myself.

I'd call this one almost complete; but I'm keen to know what you all think. Comments and crits are welcomed.

Replies

• 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    Overall looks good.

Your polymer/composite material looks overtly "wet" that needs to be toned down.

The rifle butt on the top looks oddly lumpy, make sure this has a nice streamlined silhouette.

Show your textures as well.
  • BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally, a comment!

@3Dreaper: You raise a very valid point there, most of which I agree with. Firstly, I wanted to create the impression that someone has had their hands all over the shoulder stock hence why there are moisture marks all over. But toned down you reckon? Might be a better option in the future. Your criticism is worth noting.
    Second; as for the lumpy part, I had to add a lot of polygons to this being wary of not including too many. Being next-gen a mesh this is, maybe us artists do have some lee-way, in a professional setting you do not always have the luxury of choice adding in too many polygons in your models. A technical restraint I bear in mind sometimes. The lines for the silhouette could look smoother right?

The textures are almost finished; I'll reveal them soon.
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4
    A shotgun is fairly minimal overall, Its fine if you need to add more geo to make something look smooth.

Yes the silhouette could be smoother.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    The stock has way too much shine. It should not be more reflective than your metal.

The trigger area looks like it could use a bit more detail as well. It feels hurried and less resolved than the rest of your gun.
  • BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seems as though there is some more to do it seems. Thanks for the comments. Watch this space!
  • BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A much needed update on the Remington. I've made a few changes to the albedo and roughness maps, as Quixel mysteriously lost my paint layer masks. Whilst this may seem bad, it's given me the chance to redo these over again with different results.
    I've altered the roughness of the rubber stock and grip down more, so they should appear less shiny now.

So far, I'm quite pleased.

• nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    The model and detailing is accurate to the reference but I still feel the materials are still too "shiny". I'd increase the brightness in the roughness map another 4-6% for the metal and 8% -12 % for the stock.

Looking at this reference image the specular highlight is softer than in your render suggesting your map needs to increase the roughness values.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/177404/995352241/wm_7883886.jpg

Generally the gun is a dulled metal and also the end strip on the back is noticeably smoother than the main stock material. 

Overall good work just needs that little bit of polish and some final render shots :) For the final shots I'd suggest dropping the cubemap.

• BetaRazer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @nathdevlin. Very useful comments there. The cubemap background I can always just drop and stick to a coloured background instead. In a way, I too like isolating important art assets in this way.

I've re-adjusted the roughness values and toned down the hues, making them altogether slightly more dark. Hopefully the metal is a bit more dull looking now without compromising too much detail.

Anyway, I've enjoyed producing this one. The extra bit of polish was worth it.