Home Technical Talk

polyToSubdiv Failed

CreativeSheep
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
CreativeSheep polycounter lvl 8
I can't convert a polygonal mesh to a subdivision surface due to an error which the polyToSubdiv failed.  I read it has to do with nodes for the mesh being tangled, and the solution is to export the object as an OBJ then import the mesh.  

I've done just those steps and the error continues; any other solutions whereas also, I can completely skip the import/export OBJ procedure ?

Replies

• oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    are you working in maya....
    if yes dont use subd surfaces... they are old and outdated...
    just go with poly (subD)...
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you want to convert displacements to polygons, you have to convert to subd.  Although converting to subd doesn't work due to an error; I read one should export the object as an OBJ, followed by re-importing as an OBJ and that should fix the problem but it doesn't.  I hoping there is a script that can clean up the nodes without having to do the import / export procedure.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    displacement.? where does the displacement come from..? a texture..? a deformer..?
    could you explain that a bit more...
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Convert displacement to polygons derived from a displacement map on the mesh. You can't simply run convert displacements to polygons without first converting the mesh to a subd mesh, followed by converting the subd mesh to polygons in maya which gives you the dense geometry required, then and only then can you convert displacements to polygons to get a polygonal mesh of the displacement map for which I can proceed forward.

The hiccup is; I tried the above on a sphere, and everything worked, but on my production mesh, it won't convert, the polygonal mesh to subd, without an error.  I read the solution is to export the mesh as OBJ followed by re-importing the mesh as OBJ to clean up stray nodes etc.  I tried the mentioned solution and that didn't work.  Supposedly there is a script, or you can run a script that will do this work for you, which mainly cleans up dirty nodes in Maya so there are no more problems, where that script is, not sure if I came across it on this forum or not in my searches ?
  • seb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 11
    1. if you just need more geo you don´t need to convert to subD and back. just smooth your mesh. also the "feature displ." settings are taken into account.

2. if your geo doesn´t convert it´s usually not built very well so exporting as obj and back in will do nothing for you. "cleanup" maybe shows you where you geo has problems.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. if you just need more geo you don´t need to convert to subD and back. just smooth your mesh. also the "feature displ." settings are taken into account.

Smoothing a mesh adds geometry to the actual mesh, whereas converting it to subD rather adds geometry to a duplicate mesh; keep it separate.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think I may have found the problem, non-planer polygons to which the append to polygon tool can't fix, rather manually moving a point on each non-planer polygon is the only way.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hrm anyone want to take a look at the mesh; the methods I've tried thus far are not working as efficient as I would've hoped.   
  • seb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 11
    Smoothing a mesh adds geometry to the actual mesh, whereas converting it to subD rather adds geometry to a duplicate mesh; keep it separate.
    ctrl+d is faster than converting around...

nonplanar polys should usually not be a problem when converting to subD.

anyway upload the mesh and i can have a look.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    i would use the new texture deformer node in maya to do that...
    or idisplace... http://www.braverabbit.de/ideform/
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture Deformer node, new to Maya 2016 ? 
    How do you sent someone a file on this new forum ?
  • seb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 11
    texture deformer is at least available since 2015 extension but idisplace will work with earlier versions if you need it.

file send via pm seems not possible but attach it here will give you a better chance of someone helping you.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You must rename the object from JPEG to OBJ.  I really don't know how how those Non-Planer polygons happened around the top of the mesh.  Hopefully someone know how to fix without turning the quads into triangles.  
  • seb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 11
    like i said before the non-planar polys are not a problem.

you should check your mesh for  "edges with zero length" and remove one of the loops they are connecting or just merge verts with a low tolerance.
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've tried many options; and nothing works, the non-planer continue to haunt.
  • seb3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d polycounter lvl 11
    did you even try what i said? the non-planar polys are not your problem with converting to subD....
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seb3d said:
    did you even try what i said? the non-planar polys are not your problem with converting to subD....
    I tried more then what you said, without going into details and not one of the suggestions to which was related to what you suggested had worked, including mesh clean up with edges with zero length turn on with a low tolerance.  :s
  • CreativeSheep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If anyone can shed light on this, I'd like to know because what appears to be a simple solution is not turning out simple.