Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook:Minoru Kawaguchi

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ctfan polycounter lvl 5
So a bit about myself. Been learning this field for about 5 years now. Still have much to learn about workflows and proper disciplines. But one should start somewhere yes? I'm currently taking a diploma in games art at Nanyang Polytechnic in Singapore. Despite doing this for three years, i believe what i truly lack is the discipline of practise,

Now with the looming problem of getting a job in a few months,i realise my work is nowhere near what an actual standard should be. As such,i have started this thread in the hopes of me constantly updating it and self-improving myself.  For now,with all the busyness of portfolio showcase and the such,i'll try to post one new work per week as a starter. 

Let's hope for good things to come. 

Edit: I did get a job in the end,but i accept all relevant critiques.Fire away!

Replies

• ctfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ctfan polycounter lvl 5
    Here's work number one and in my opinion,the highest standard i can go now(seems like it's going to be a long long road).

Diorama based off a book called the Scarlet Plague by Jack London.
    Done in Maya with DirectX11 shaders and textured with Photoshop.

• ctfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ctfan polycounter lvl 5
    So this is my latest work for the week. It's a puzzle platformer pc game for unity.Done in a two-man team.(1 programmer and 1 artist)

Still have long ways to go in terms of lighting,UVs and meshes. But it's nice to have somewhere to start from =)
  • ctfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ctfan polycounter lvl 5
    So it's been awhile...just going to dump the newer stuff in here. Currently,i do one new model per month. i hope to do one per day

Did this as a submission piece for a job.Though i didn't get the job in the end...

Done in Maya,rendered with Marmoset

• ctfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ctfan polycounter lvl 5
    Skirt brooch for an African tribal character I was doing. Done in Maya,rendered with Mental Ray

PS. I can't seem to get the embed tags working,this one's from sketchfab and the hammer's from marmoset viewer.

• ctfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ctfan polycounter lvl 5
    2 sets of sculpts from my class on production level models with Zbrush and Keyshot by Mohamed Hussain Khan.I do admit,more practice is needed.

Angel of Death from Hellboy:The Golden Army

• ctfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ctfan polycounter lvl 5
    Cyber girl concept with references from Nova from Starcraft 2 and the Sarah Kerrigan sculpt by Dominic Qwek.

The sniper rifle was done by creating an assortment of photobashes in photoshop and then sub-d modelled in maya.

• ctfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ctfan polycounter lvl 5
    Here's a practice sculpt based off the sculpt by Tomasz Strzalkowski