Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Post Apocalyptic Diner

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
jariah polycounter lvl 5
Hey Guys,
im currently working on a new Environment.

I would be happy,if you have some ideas and Critics to my Diner i modeled in 3ds Max.

Replies

• clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    clinington polycounter lvl 10
    Got any wireframe shots? 
  • jariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jariah polycounter lvl 5
    Okay,  here you can see the wire of my diner.
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice. I can see some verts that could be welded up. For example, on the door there are lots of verts along the bottom but that bottom edge is straight. You could weld alot of those verts into the corners of the door to get your tri count down. What are you going to be using for texturing? 
  • jariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jariah polycounter lvl 5
    Tanks mate.
    im going to use Substance Painter
  • jariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jariah polycounter lvl 5
    This was just an idea of a Diner.
    First I wanted to build this scene. maybe i build exactly this Diner. to do it perfectly ;)
    Its my first Environment, so i dont really know how to  build up the scene. should i model first the Diner ?

• jariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jariah polycounter lvl 5
    i did a new HP Model from my Diner.
    Hope you like it.

• jariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jariah polycounter lvl 5
    Here is my first Diner Preview
    some Critics would be nice :)

• AgelosAp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgelosAp polycounter
    Good start, did you use Substance for this? Whether you did or not it would be better to show this in marmoset or an engine as the 3d max viewport doesn't do you any favors, a lot of aliasing going on.
    Other than that I'd say work more towards the concept by adding whatever you see there.
    On the existing geometry:
    -Make some more space between windows, and make the far left and far right more narrow (as concept) that variation is nice.
    -Add that scaffolding thing behind the "DINER" sign and make the side sign a little bigger.
    -I'm not sure from the size of the concept but there may be windows on the side as well, you may want to add them if you won't put anything else there as it looks pretty empty now.
    -Texture damage is a bit uniform, try looking at the distribution in the concept, for instance, behind the sign there is a lot more grime and moss (as letters leak water and rust when it rains) and also on the lower planks the dirt gets more dense towards the ground.
    Hope this helps you out a bit, you got a cool concept to work from looking forward to your update!
  • jariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jariah polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks  for the feedback mate.
    yes i used substance for this :)
    i will work with cryengine, so i want to add moos, leaks etc. with decals, so i  have less problems with Tiling.
  • jariah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jariah polycounter lvl 5
    Hey guys, here is a new Update from my Diner. Feedback is highly Appreciated

• pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    It's missing the subtle color definitions in the concept, it's there....but you should push a bit more. I'm also not seeing strong material definition yet, it all looks like brown mush, metal base doesn't read as metal....etc. The white outline on the text helped pop the letters yet, your model....it lacks that definition, I know it's supposed to say "DINER" but heck I can read those from here.
  • clinington
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice progress! But I do agree with Pixelpatron about your textures. I think you need some more contrast overall to make things easier to read. Also, try varying your roughness values some more to give better definition to the materials. The 'Diner' sign is quite dark overall and could be lightened up some. 
  • Wilkerson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, my name is Aaron and I am the creator of the diner illustration. Honored that you were inspired by my picture, which contains both 2d and 3d elements. The model was from TF3DM.com.  I feel that yours is an improvement in the texturing, but agree with clinington regarding materials. Some cold colours might help to contrast the beige of the wood pieces. Check out 1950s streamline design aesthetic to delve further into the style and for ideas. Don't limit your references!