Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Flintlock Hand Mortar

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
Hey folks,

Finally got some decent free time to work on this. High poly and low poly are done. Bakes are first pass; got some minor nitpicks here and there to fix. Hoping Quixel 2.0 will come out sooner rather than later so I can texture with it. :)

Reference: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/83/4e/a2/834ea20e15703c22d0b09efbc102c5bd.jpg
(Used many other reference images, but the above was the initial image that started the project)

Latest

High poly

Low Poly in Marmoset

Replies

• Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    This is super fucking cool. I really like this. Sub'd.

Also without looking at the ref I thought this was maybe going in a toon style direction... I was confused why the other shapes weren't as exaggerated as the barrel. :smiley: 
  • aaronmwolford
    Offline / Send Message
    aaronmwolford polycounter lvl 8
    Man this is great! Has a great silhouette. Do you plan on adding the clips located on the stock and towards the front on the bottom? They would make a nice touch in pushing the silhouette a bit further. It does feel stylized, but the reference doesn't lie. :) The only thing I see is the end of the barrel in the reference isn't as rounded off and extruded as far as your model, but it doesn't look bad. Really depends on the style you are going for. 
  • Madosho
    Offline / Send Message
    Madosho polycounter lvl 3
    Looks really good already man :D. Great looking bake, and subd. The only thing that stand out for me is that the normal mapped details on your stock feel a little bit out of place. I think replacing it with some ornamental elements (like the one you've placed on the flint) would tie it together a little bit better.
  • RyRyB
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks folks! 

@Wesley - Thanks! The first time I saw this I thought it was a joke weapon. I guess they weren't too popular though due to safety issues. I could only imagine why. :P

@AaronMWolford - Thanks a bunch! I will add those clips, not sure why I spaced on it. Thanks for pointing them out. I'll also look at the barrel again; I might have used a slightly different reference for it.

@Madosho - I see your point and agree with it. I'll see what I can do with it. Thanks :)
  • RyRyB
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Finally picked up Painter (and Quixel 2.0!) and starting texturing this asset. First go at Metalness workflow. 
    Still need to do all the engravings and details and more polish on the wood.

• RyRyB
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    More texture progress. Just about ready to call this done and move on.

• beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Wooow. Really great texture work with the wood and metals. I love the subtle micro detail you have in there.
  • RyRyB
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    @dustinbrown Thanks a bunch, much appreciated!
    @beefaroni, Thanks! Really love your work...definitely work that I look up to. :)

Finally finished this asset up at lunch and calling it done!

Added:
    - Flint leather
    - Flint
    - Sling loops

• beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Thanks! Although with this model your textures are solllid. 

Edit: Heh I realized that your other work on here is from a few years back. Figured out who you are when I saw this pop up on Artstation.
  • RyRyB
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Haha yeah. I've been a member of Polycount for like 10 years but average about a post every 6 months. I should probably post more often. :)

• tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome stuff! What was your process for the wood?
  • Stavaas
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Damn, this looks great! Really makes me want to make a gun of my own!
  • RyRyB
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    @Tynew Thanks! I don't have the file in front of me but I started with the base wood in Painter, ripped out the layers I didn't like and brought in my own overlays. From there, it was just a blending of Painter's procedural maps and my own. 

@Stavaas Thank you sir!
  • Wesley
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    This turned out lovely! Really liking it. My one criticism of the texture though: the crevice/crease in the wood at the stock; it has some damage running in and then out of it that, that kind of flows in a way that maybe doesn't make sense? This might have been badly worded. It's quite minor. But having that kind of damage/wear stop around that crease and instead change to a build up of dirt would be cool. Look forward to seeing more of your stuff. Keep it going!