Home Technical Talk

Having a bit of a texal density crisis

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Chase polycounter lvl 9

I ran a test on a basic cylinder just to make sure texal density was the issue, and all materials look good there. I laid out my uv's using a 2:1 texture sheet, and mirrored everything I could to avoid this potential issue. I was not successful.

The blue faces are mirrored.

From what I see the only option open to me is to split my model into two 4096x2048 sheets instead of the one. Also, mirroring the strap and pad to free up a little more space. Advice?

Replies

• Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Them's some sharp pixels...
    http://www.snowbound.com/sites/snowbound.com/files/images/antialias.gif
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    You could put the accessories (optic, bipod, sling) on their own texture sheets if they're genuinely modular pieces that could be re-used on other weapons.
  • Bartalon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bartalon polycounter lvl 12
    From what I can see of your normals, they seem pretty smooth compared to those super-aliased details, assuming you aren't using normal maps at a larger resolution than your other maps.  I'm not sure what software you are texturing in, but I have seen some mask generators in Substance Painter be completely pixellated on some settings.  Perhaps you just need to blur a layer mask somewhere?
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    @Bek - That'd be a good idea, but I want to figure out a way around this with this many uvs. That way I know for future reference.

@Bartalon - Correct, the doc size in Painter was set to 4096x2048 to match the other maps. I tried just painting with a brush and still had pixely results.

I baked out just the rail, giving it plenty of it's own uv space. STILL have issues even at 4k.

uv space baked at 4k